R8182D Aquastat-protecto relay malfunction

Old 02-04-07, 05:41 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question R8182D Aquastat-protecto relay malfunction

Hi guys... I was going to sign up as "Toast" but it was already taken. I instead decided to use my alter nickname. Haha.

Anyway... down to brass tacks.

I woke up to an extremely cold house this morning. I went downstarts to my trusty old oil burner to find that the circuit breaker on the aquastat (if this is the proper terminology to use?) was tripped. I then reset it and to no avail, it merely made the clicking noise of the relays.

As most of us probably do for reasons of quick process of elimination... I gave the aquastat a good smack on the side and then a rather heavy object was taken upside the motor that pumps the fuel in... all to see if there were perhaps any loose connections. Yep, I like to smack stuff around to find problems with cold solder points or rubbed wires, etc. Probably not the best practice but it's worked quite well for me so far.

Through some messing around... I made sure that both relays had nothing stopping their full swing and that they were fully engaging and they both are. My issue, I think, is the terminals that feed the burner and motor power are not getting the expected 110 VAC when tested with my VOM. I do not smell any kind of burnt components so I'm kind of stuck.

What might the issue be? Both relays are recieving power... they are both making full contact but not putting out any power?

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-04-07, 09:45 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile I figured it out...

I took the unit apart to find a cold solder joint on the circuit board. Problem solved.

Now to adjust the aquastat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: