Gurgling one zone steam radiator

Old 02-05-07, 08:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gurgling one zone steam radiator

I am sure this question has been answered before. I have two problems . When the heat kicks on in my bedroom the radiator makes a loud gurgling sound. I tryed vacuming the pipe from the basement to get the water out but this did not work....other suggestions?? Other question. I have a radiator that wont get hot. I can feel some air come out of the vent but not enought to get hot. I suck through the hole and hear a water gurgle when air is forced in.....My wife is desperite I fix the loud noise as she is pregnant and yelling at me at every moment to fix this. Thanx in advance

Old 02-07-07, 01:03 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Use a carpenter's level to check if the radiator gently slopes downward towards the end where the steam pipe enters. It should be about a half bubble on a two-foot long level. If it slopes the other direction or is dead level try placing shims under the legs on the end with the air vent to achieve this gentle slope.

The valve itself may have come apart internally so if the level thing doesn't work you will have to disassemble the valve. You can only do this when the boiler is cold.

Do NOT try to regulate the heat by partially closing the steam valve, it must be fully open or fully closed at all times.

Old 02-08-07, 11:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I checked with a level and the pitch seems good....I seperated it from the valve over the summer and everything looked open. could the pipes be clogged...If so how would I clean them. My house was built in 1876 and theses are the origional pipes. How brittle are they??

Old 02-09-07, 04:39 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Yes, the pipes could be clogged. It could also be that somewhere the pipe has accidentally (or on purpose) been moved from the proper slope between the radiator and the boiler.

I don't know how brittle the pipiing may be, I'm not there. Installed in 1876 it is possible that the piping is wrought iron and is in excellent condition, it is also possible that it is made of the lousy steel that was in existance at that time and it will fall apart if touched with a wrench. It is almost a sure thing that the fittings, (elbows and tees) are cast iron and while they are strong they are also brittle.

It may be time to call in an expert.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: