hwbb problem or not????

Old 02-05-07, 07:56 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hwbb problem or not????

Hello Folks, This is a rental and my information as to apartment feel is limited to tenant informing me.

1) Gas hot water baseboard electronic ignition. Sep. hot water heater.

2) temp with tstat set at 80 is between 180 and 190 and psi is around 20. The circ. seems to be working and I can hear it and feel a slight vibration on pipes.

3) pipes by boiler are pretty hot (feed and return). Can be touched for just a second. Pipes in apartment can be touched for a little longer, I thought they could have been hotter, but, I have limited knowledge.

4) Inside condition of baseboard not the best. Covers and fins are bent and being blocked by furniture and other items. Had trouble finding some of them. I could feel heat coming off the bathroom baseboard which was pretty much the only unobstructed.

Lady says she has had to run the oven to supplement heat during this recent cold spell here in the Hudson Valley NY. No prior problems in past years and everything seems to be running fine. But, with that said, although the lady is not the cleanest, I think she could be correct. Any suggestions on what I should do. Thanks in advance for any help. Eric

Old 02-07-07, 12:52 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Baseboard convectors need free unobstructed airflow from the bottom through the fins and out the top for proper operation. Carpet that obstructs the bottom will lessen the airflow as will dust and dirt on the fins. Furniture usually is not a problem unless it is tight against the floor, like a bookcase, and flat against the cover of the baseboard convector. Curtains and/or drapes that fall over the top of the convector will cause problems.

I suggest that you remove the outer covers and thoroughly vacuum the finned pipes, making sure to not damage the spacing between the fins. Make sure the carpet (or rugs) do not obstruct the lower opening and make sure that the damper at the top is wide open when replacing the front covers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: