boiler replacement

Old 02-07-07, 10:44 AM
B
BRN
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
boiler replacement

I have had 3 plumbers all experienced in putting in gas boilers come over. One looked at the burner and gave me a price. Another said he'd put the burner on blocks, checked every radiator in the house, and is sending me his estimate. The third said that he would put in a burner with the same # of btu's as has been there for 40 years. (150K) didn't check the radiators. Said since it has been sufficient for the house for all the years, the size was fine. One will use a Utica, one a Smith, and the other a Plymouth Steam 2 by Dunkirk.

Do I need an automatic feed for the water? I've lived here for over 22 years, and have only forgotten to check the guage 2 or 3 times. I realized that when the house didn't heat up quickly enough. I'm told having the automatic feed adds about $500-600 to the price.

In addition to the new boiler, I need to have my chimney relined and some asbestos remediation. New code regulations since the old boiler was put in in 1967.

Old 02-07-07, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Automatic water feeder

No, you do not "need" an automatic feeder. Most packaged boilers come with one already installed & by the time your installer removed it & installed just a low water cut-off, you would have more invested than the feeder costs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: