High Pressure Syeam Boiler

Old 02-11-07, 08:10 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy High Pressure Syeam Boiler

I recently installed a Weil-Mclain SGO-4 oil fired natural draft steam boiler.
The boiler may be a bit larger than rerquired (144,000 MBH). It heats 10 radiators in a 3 story small house.
The heat in the house is fine however the boiler is recycling like every 10 minutes. I have the presuretrol set up at 5 psi and 0.5 psi cut in. I was running it a lot higher last week (almost 14 psi) so it would recycle less. obviusly a no no. However if I set it to 1.5 or 2.0 psi it would only run like 5 minutes before it shuts down. The system does NOT bang slam or hammer. I do use quite a bit of makeup water. All radiators are constantly hissing while heating.
I believe that my problem may be a bad design of the near pipe system. I wish I could post a picture however I will try to describe. There is only one outlet in this boiler 21/2". I reduced with cooper out of the boiler with a 2". then about 12" up I put in a tee with a 1" equalizer pipe that gets connected to thje harthford loop. The 2" riser then makes a couple of 90 bends and gets hook up to the original black iron pipe on the very top of the basement ceiling.
Do you think this is my high pressure problem? what do I do next? thanks

Old 02-11-07, 08:14 AM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I can't speak with authority on steam, but I have read that copper is a big no-no in a steam system.

Old 02-11-07, 07:08 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The reduced size piping between the boiler outlet and the original piping along with the too small piping of the Hartford loop is almost surely the cause of this problem. Repipe it with the proper sized piping.

The proper setting for the pressuretrol is no more than 2psi and it would quite likely work well at 1psi after you correctly pipe the silly thing.

When you make these changes post back and we will discuss the hissing radiators and the excessive make-up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: