air flow not proven??? Give me a break...

Old 02-11-07, 02:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy air flow not proven??? Give me a break...

Hello again my friends... well I heat for 2 weeks and now it's out again :-(
My CGI Weil-Mclain boiler is back to sucking air IN at the radiators...
The PSI reads 2 and the boiler fires up but shuts itself off and the Red Flashing Light on the sequence panel says something about a pressure switch... paper taped to the top of boilers says this light means "air flow not proven"..... Last thing I did to fix it two weeks ago was add water through the drain valve on the side of the boiler & then bled the radiators... PSI went to 15 and all seemed well... now what??? Should I repeat my steps again??? Please help me... it's cold here in Wisconsin.. house is at 64 and dropping...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-07, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Several problems

First you need to get that pressure back up to around 15#. Next, check the exhaust blower to insure it runs on a call for heat. Presuming the blower does run, check all the small plastic tubes which run to & from the exhaust blower. Take each one off & shake it out to remove any trapped mositure. Check the exhaust system to make sure it is open & unrestricted.
Once you get the boiler back up & running, you need to find out why the pressure is dropping. It would seem there is a leak somewhere.

Old 02-11-07, 03:36 PM
B
boiler runs but pressure still down..

Thanks Grady...
Should I add water while boiler is running??
Should I bleed radiators while boiler is running??
I did add some water while it was off... turned it back on and it did kick on without light flashing and shutting off...pressure moved to maybe 4.... ran for about 5 min, and shut off again.. errrr... wish I knew how to fish....

Old 02-11-07, 03:55 PM
Smile

I agree with Grady about the possibility of a leak. Sounds as if the fill valve isn't working. But that's not what is causing your no heat problem. The control isn't picking up the signal that your pressure proving switch should be sending at start-up. Once the draft inducer fan comes on at a call for heat, the pressure proving switch should close and tell the control that it's ok to ignite the burners. Either the switch is bad, or the draft is blocked somehow.
This could be from a blockage in the vent pipe, a blockage at the vent termination outside (if it's vented through the wall), a blockage such as a bird, or plugged chimney base (if it's vented into a chimney).
The heat exchanger may have become blocked (not likely but possible)
There could be something blocking the hoses to the pressure switch or the ports at the flue collector.

Check this out, it's the manual for your boiler. It has some great info, pay particular attention to the troubleshooting the air pressure switch part.

http://www.weil-mclain.ca/pdfs/CGi_Boiler_Manual.pdf

Old 02-11-07, 04:07 PM
B
full of questions

I am getting that manual right now...Thank you...
Another question I have,,,duh...
Is the expanding tank suppose to be empty when I add water to system?

Old 02-11-07, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Exp. Tank

Depends on the kind of tank. If it is one with an air valve on it, yes it should be empty. If it is the kind with a drain valve, the tank will partially fill as you add water.