advice please

Old 02-15-07, 10:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
advice please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just purchased my house and have an oil gravity fed water boiler system with cast iron radiators. I'm looking to replace the furnace because it's very old and ineficient (costing me a fortune to run). I've been told to get rid of the radiators and go baseboard because of the amount of hot water required to heat them. I've also have been told to get rid of the gravity fed system. Does any of this matter with the current in and out pipes which I'm sure were installed with the furnace (in great condition but big). Can I install a pump to force the hot water through? Is just replacing the oil boiler what I want to do? Any advice would be a great help.

Old 02-15-07, 10:26 AM
X
Whoever told you to get rid of the radiators and replace with baseboard was flat wrong. Rads are a great way to heat, a close second after radiant, IMHO. They take a bit longer to get up to temperature, but once there, their mass gives off very comfortable radiant heat and properly controlled will provide outstanding performance. Certainly better than baseboard (what I have in my house...).

Gravity conversion to forced circulation is not rocket science, but you want a contractor experienced with this. There are nuances to getting the pipe sizing, flow rates, etc. right. Shop around. Take your time. Also keep in mind that winter is about the worst time to try to get estimates and have non-crisis work done. These guys are busy. Shoot for estimates in the spring, work in the summer.

While you are waiting for warmer weather, you should also take some time to learn about your home's heat loss. Free software is available (e.g., www.slantfin.com) that is not too hard to use and get right, given a few hours invested in learning it. A bunch of us here use that software, and can provide help and advice. The heat loss calc will tell you what size boiler you need. Chances are your boiler is not only old, but also oversized. It's replacement can therefore be not only more efficient, but also smaller (i.e., uses less fuel). This is also a good time to think about adding insulation and sealing infiltration points. Think of insulation as fuel you buy only once; it's one of the best ways to reduce your energy consumption. One more thing to add to the thinking list is how you heat your domestic hot water (sinks, showers, etc.). An indirect water heater run off a heating boiler is a very efficient way to do that. Much better than an electric or dedicated gas water heater. Because you will be ripping out much of everything down near the boiler anyway, adding an indirect would probably not be too much additional labor.

Old 02-15-07, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Ya got it Id stay with it. Like xiphias said.
Go to http://warmair.net You can compare fuel cost. to see if gas or oil is best there for you.

Old 02-15-07, 08:42 PM
W
Replacing Old Boiler

I agree with Xiphias and Ed; cast iron radiators are MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE and efficient in the heat they hold & put out over baseboard.

Xiphias is spot on about the other points regarding the need for blown-in insulation in the exterior walls, a indirect hot water tank using the boiler's hot water, & a new boiler.

The boiler you have now is perhaps 50% to 60% efficient; that means 1/2 or 40% of the heat produced is wasted, going right up the chimney.

You can expect a 20% to 30% drop in oil usage if you buy a modern boiler, which are 85% to 95% efficient; most if not all of the oversized pipes in the boiler room can be removed in favor of 3/4" or 1" copper piping that will reduce the amount of water in the system; the new boiler will come with its own circulator (pump).

Xiphias makes a good point about waiting till spring or summer to make the swtich; you'll recoup the money you spend on the insulation & new boiler within a very short time.

Do it!

Old 02-16-07, 06:47 AM
Thanks so much for your info. You've been a great help. I'm glad I found this site.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: