Intermittent Pilot Retrofit Kit Installation

Old 02-16-07, 03:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Pilot Retrofit Kit Installation

I have an old (1983ish) Burnham P-204-W forced hot water furnace (80,000 btu/hr) that's natural gas fired. I'm trying to install a Honeywell Y8610 U 3003 itermittent pilot retrofit kit (recommended by the good folks at automatic heat) & I've already encountered my 1st problem. It's in the removal of the old thermocoupling. There are two wires that come from the electronics box (transformer, thermostat wire, circulator power, etc.). At the other end these attach to what I think is called the pilotstat control which is on the wire from the thermocoupling to the gas control module. It's not clear to me what the pilotstat control specifically does (something to with safety control) or what I should do with the wires after removing the old thermocoupling. I understand the mechanics of the project but am not so good with the wiring. Any tips regarding this retrofit would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-07, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Intermittent Pilot

I understand your desire to save money on your gas bill BUT that pilot which stays lit all the time helps to keep the fire side of the boiler dry. Dry means less condensation which means less rust.

Old 02-16-07, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pilotstat

What is the make & model of the aquastat? From re-reading your original post, I am suspecting you may have a millivolt control system.

Old 02-16-07, 05:25 PM
X
I would further suggest contacting Burnham directly. They could advise on viability of this, and proper methods and parts for doing so. Their tech support is email-able, and in my experience, knowledgeable and responsive.

Old 02-17-07, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I have tried contacting the folks at Burnham & they weren't helpful. The woman I spoke with said that they only release info to licensed hvac people. Something to do w/liability I think. I confess I haven't tried their email tech support. I gave up after the call.

Is rust a problem w/a hot water system? I've never noticed any condensation. Gas is ultra expensive here in RI (there's no 'public' in the Public Utilities Commission). I don't know what an 'aquastat' is but every component on the boiler is Honeywell except the circulator which is Taco (made right here in good old Cranston, RI). The thermocoupling has no manufacturer indicated on it anywhere. The furnace is a millivolt system.

Old 02-17-07, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Aquastat

The aquastat is the box with the temperature controls in it. There should also be wires going from it to the circulator. According to the installation sheet for that pilot kit, it is not to be used with a millivolt system. Please see page 5, Installation, Important, #4.
http://customer.honeywell.com/TechLit/pdf/68-0000s/68-0133.pdf

Old 02-18-07, 04:47 AM
Bummer. Thanks Grady, I'll return the kit. DAS

Old 02-18-07, 08:19 AM
Wink

Good point about standing pilot keeping the castings dry. A plus if you have a cold start systemin a damp area.

I convert to electroninc for 2 reasons:
1.Customer wants it
2. Pilot won't stop going out (Drafts etc.)

The pilot uses a very tiny amount of gas. We tried to time a gas meter once to find out how much. After 30 min. we got bored & gave up. It never moved.

Most pilots are around 1500 BTU/Hr. This means .0015 cu/ft/hr. That's 13.14 cu/ft per year if it's lit 24/365. That's $6.00/yr near me. How much did that kit cost?
I don't try to be critical, but it should be illegal to give advice on anything if you don't have all the facts. Everybody knows somebody with an opinion.

Next time some one gives you advice ask them "How do you come to that opinion?" & watch 'em crumble.

Facts don't lie.....unless you make 'em.

Old 01-05-08, 07:46 PM
C
Standing pilots are expensive

HVAC guy, no need to time the gas meter. Instead do the calculation.

The USA average Natural Gas cost in 2007 was about $18/thousand cubic feet. Natural gas has between 1005 and 1035 BTU/cubic foot. Assuming 1020 BTU/cubic foot the cost is $18/(1000 cuft)/(1020 BTU/cuft) = $17.65 / million BTU. Now your 1500 BTU/hr standing pilot uses 1500 BTU * 24 hrs/day * 365 days/year = 13.14 million BTU/year which costs about $232 per year. That's why intermittent pilots are a cost effective, good idea. A DIY kit can pay for itself in one year.

Chris

Old 01-05-08, 08:58 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Is that right ?

Let's see... if we stuck a wick in an oil tank...

140000 / 1500 = 93.3 hours per gallon

8760 (hours in a year) / 93.3 = (appx) 94 gall / year

let's say for ha-ha's 3.00 / gall * 94 = $281 / year

Wow... that's a lot of $$$ to burn a candle !

I think your national average may be a 'tad' high though, $14 might be more realistic, but still, that's way more than I would have guessed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: