Hydronic Baseboard Designers

Old 02-19-07, 02:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hydronic Baseboard Designers

I have a really in adequate baseboard system that has to up upgraded. The house was originally 1 storey with a second level added by the previous owner (all electric baseboard). The basement has 3 radiation units plus 1 electric unit and the main level has old salvaged convectors in use, so as you can see improvements must be made. Are there companies or individuals out there that will do a proper design without necessarily doing the install?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-07, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Baseboard Design

Unless piping is a problem, figuring out how much baseboard you need is not rocket science. You can download a program from slantfin.com. Note: This a a BIG file so unless you have a high speed connection it is an overnight download.

Old 02-19-07, 02:56 PM
C
Baseboard Design

Oh I've done a Heat Cal from Slant Fin also from Heatload. The whole system needs new pipe and zoning. A second storey was added /electric, a sunroom w/electric, a Great Room onto the living room w/electric 20' ceiling and I would like to rid myself of the electric and spread the baseboard throughout.

Old 02-19-07, 04:21 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Yer lookin' for a set of prints to build from I'm guessing...

If you've done the h/l calcs, and know the req BTU for each room, you know how much BB you need by taking the BTU/FT rating of the BB and dividing it into the BTU for each room.

How many zones you plannin' on ?

Is the existing boiler up to the task, or will you replace that also ?

Old 02-19-07, 04:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Baseboard

Call a few contractors (well checked out) & ask them to give you bids based on the heat loss calcs & the zoning you want. I'm sure there are consultants who will design the system for a fee.

Old 02-19-07, 05:12 PM
C
Baseboard Design

Well I think I'll call around first then if nothing happens then I'll dig in and go for broke. Remember this was a 1948 bungalow 1100 sq ft. With all the additions, it is now approx. 2800sq ft plus another 1100 in the basement, which is livable space based on the original bungalow specs. The baseboard going to the basement and the first floor is a single 3/4" copper line with a 1-1/2" out and into the boiler which apparently was replaced in 1996, the boiler which obviously won"t be replaced. it is an oil boiler and since the house is 620' back into the forest the cost of a gas line install is $5600-$6000. which is nuts.So you can see that there is a lot of line that has to be considered since this is a finished house. Almost sounds crazy but 4 perhaps 5 zones due to the odd layout may be required. The house is 70 feet long and varies in width, so I guess ya all konw where I'm at with this project

Old 02-19-07, 07:51 PM
Who
Designing it shouldn't be that tough. I'd use manifolds and homerun from there in PEX out to all the baseboard locations. Leave some if 10 years later you want panels. Keep the PEX termination somewhat accessible at the emitter. With flow control valves you can balance and with TRVs you could essentially add a non-electric thermostatically controlled temperature the same or lower than the rest of the house. If there is any room you need to keep warmer, then simply add more radioator than it calls for. With this layout, one t-stat to worry about. With lots of TRVs in heat gain spots like kitchen and front rooms and in bedroooms to keep things a bit cooler if desired. All done with a circ or two... don't quite know what you are using as a boiler here.

Even if you don't have a condensing boiler now, size for it. Try and size for maybe 140 or lower at your design temp.