Boiler questions and help

Old 06-13-07, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Silicone, etc.

You may be able to find it at a plumbing supply house or maybe Columbia can hook you up. The stuff I use is called "Mega Copper" High-Temp Silicone Gasket Maker. The manufacture is ITW Performance Polymers.
http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=3

Do get all of the shavings out you can. Don't make a career of it, just as well as you can. When you start to fill the boiler, leave the boiler drain open for a few minutes to flush out most of the remaining.

Old 06-14-07, 11:04 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaned up the coil areas and installed the gasket and for now I got the leaks under control. So I'm going to get my DW plumbed in and will see what happens after this thing starts heating up. Hopefully It won't leak (yeah right)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/john2050_photo/Coil_gasket_installed.jpg

Old 06-14-07, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Under the control

By "under" do you mean behind or below? If behind, it is probalbly the threads on the well. You can remove the well & re-dope the threads.

Old 06-15-07, 07:26 PM
J
Two slight leaks

Ok so I have two leaking bolts that seams like it coming through the bolt threads. Is there any easy way of removing those bolts so I don't have to remove the whole coil again? this job is a real pain. Who do I collect the money from Oh and that new pressure/temp gauge fogged up and has water in it know!! Aren't these things supposed to be anti-fog?

Thanks

Old 06-15-07, 07:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Earned Nickname "Bad Luck Johny"

Now the bad news, like you need any more. Sorry fella but you gotta pull the coil unless you put the bolts in from the outside. Do you have an acetylene torch? If you do, I suggest brazing the bolts it. If nothing else, the braze bead will prevent a leak.

The gauge should not fog nor get water behind the lens. You got a bad gauge.

You collect, yeah right.

Old 06-16-07, 04:42 AM
J
Talking Earned Nickname "Bad Luck Johny"

I hear you Grady. I'm not having any luck on this job. Oh well

Grady, so I have never brazed before. I do have an acetylene torch so can you give me a crash course real quick? Do I still add thread dope or just flux, screw the bolt in and braze it?

Thanks

Old 06-16-07, 05:01 AM
J
Alright I did a little reading on brazing and its simular to sweating a joint. Now what I have read states to use oxy-acetylene. I have an acetylene tank with a turbo torch S-5. Will this setup work. It seems like I should have brazed these instead of using thread dope since a brazed joint is stronger and water tight.

Oh one more question, will I be able to use the cureent bolts? I used leak lock on the threads and that stuff seems pretty hard to clean up, well at least it was hard getting it off of my fingers .

Leak lock web site:

http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklck.html

Old 06-16-07, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Leak Lock

I am familiar with leak lock. I think the heat from the torch will take care of it. Heat well then hit with wire brush to clean off any residue.

The turbo should work. Just won't be as fast as with oxy. Be sure to use brazing flux or at least flux coated rod. You can usually get lower melting point brazing rod at a home center. It is most often found with the propane torches & related supplies.
Since I have it on the truck, I use 15% silver brazing rod (Sil-Fos or similar) & flux when brazing to steel. You don't want to buy a pound package of Sil-Fos just for this small job.

Old 06-17-07, 06:45 AM
J
Ok so I have a buddy thats done brazing and he is going to help me out tomorrow brazing those bolts. Plus he has all the stuff.

Once I remove the coil I should be able to reuse the gasket, right?

Thanks,

bad luck john

Old 06-17-07, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gasket

You can probably reuse the gasket but I prefer to make my own. I cut the holes to "just fit" the bolts or maybe a hair smaller. If you got some of that copper silicone, put a couple of good beads, one inside the bolts & the other outside, & have at it. I have even been known to put a small bead around each bolt before & after putting on the gasket.

Old 06-26-07, 07:24 AM
J
Talking Got that MF'rrrrrrrr

Well thanks for all the help. Well I didn't braze the bolts because my tank had a leak and was empty So I ripped it all apart and cleaned everything up good and reapplied leak lock and high temp RTV and reassembled the coil. I let it setup for about 3hrs and filled up the boiler. Not one leak anywhere. So I fire up the boiler and it reaches temp and I have no leaks. Great right? Well about 20 mins later I see a little leak at one of the washers. Then I notice on another bolt the leak lock is seeping through the threads. Well I guess 3 hrs wasn't long enough for the leak lock to cure. So I shut off the boiler and until the next day. I get home from work, fired it up and no leaks. So its been almost a week and no leaks and the Temp/pressure gauge cleared up, too. So again thanks for all the help and if you are in the King Of Prussia, area shot me an email and I'll buy the beers . Now I just need to put the front cover back on and move on to the next project.

Old 06-26-07, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs up Finally

Way to go. Maybe your luck has turned. On the off chance I find myself heading up your way, I'll shoot you an e-mail for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: