boiler

Old 03-08-07, 09:34 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question boiler

i have a hot water gas boiler. I smell a gas oder everytime the boiler starts . i reported the problem to the gas company , after they did an inspection of all the plumbing they did smell the oder but concluded there was no leakage of gas . they feel the boiler needs to be cleaned. I am not convinced that may not be the problem since the smell is so strong and the boiler is only 6 yrs old ( burnham ) could it be another problem with the boiler that could possibly cause this problem ? thanks

Old 03-08-07, 11:13 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
When was the boiler last serviced?

Old 03-08-07, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Because you only smell the gas when it fires up, you can rule out all the piping leading up to the boiler and to the gas valve. If it were any of that you woud be smelling gas ALL the time.

You have most likely an ignition delay caused by burners dirty near the combustion source, or some back draft situation is my guess. If the latter, when it fires and gets hot, the drafting corrects istself.

There may be other causes but these are two that immediately came to mine.

Old 03-08-07, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Gas Smell

I agree with DaVeBoy. EVERY manufacturer of EVERY piece of fuel burning equipment specifies in their owner's manual to have the equipment serviced annually by a reputable service company. People seem to think gas fired equipment does not get dirty. WRONG, and when it does, it often kills people or makes them ill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: