Installing Indirect water heater

Old 03-13-07, 05:36 AM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Installing Indirect water heater

Hi All,
It seems that my 30+ year old tank less boiler is showing its age.
The Tank less hot water section of the boiler is leaking right at the bulkhead connectors. We need to add an indirect water heater anyways since we added a second floor with a master bathroom. Well the installation of the indirect water heater seems straight forward. (We haven't selected one yet, recommend any?).
My question is how do I disconnect the tank less system of the boiler?
Pipes and electrical connections.
Thanks in advance.
-quadcells

Old 03-13-07, 01:04 PM
Q
new boiler

Well it's the flang seal that is leaking and the boiler man say's that this boiler is so rusted and old that the labor cost would be very high. So it look like we will be putting in a new boiler with a indirect water heater. Also the boiler man told me that if you are going to keep the house that I should not buy the boiler at homedepot. So he will let me help him to lower the labor cost and go with a good boiler which he hasn't told me the brand name yet.
If you all are want to know how it all goes I will get back to you all later when it's done. It will not happen until next week.

Old 03-13-07, 01:55 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Gas or oil?

Old 03-13-07, 02:02 PM
Q
Hi Who,
Oil

Old 03-15-07, 09:42 PM
A
If you help him, be sure to help him even if that means going away and letting him work. If you already have specific skill then that would be different. S/he will definetly need the help to get the new boiler in and the old one out. Customers have a habit of getting in the way, not on purpose, usually. Home Depot products usually arn't of the highest quality but I don't know about their furnaces. The parts on a furnace are basicly generic(you can swap them with almost any other oil burner) but I'm not sure about the construction of the actual cast iron(or steel) part of the furnace.

Old 03-16-07, 06:06 AM
Q
Thanks, Yea my skill is the electrical. And like you said just helping him remove the old and bring in the new one which is going to be delivered today before the snow I hope. The storm here in the northeast might prevent us from doing it this weekend. We shall see. I think I will take some picture of the job put like you said I don't want to get in his way.
Thanks again

Old 03-16-07, 03:37 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yeah, digipics! I for one would like to see the progression from old to new...

post 'em up on photobucket and we'll all look...

Old 03-20-07, 11:04 AM
Q
Pics coming, but in the meantime.
I was doing the electrical on a new boiler equipped with a Beckett burner and Honeywell digital control unit. The service man also bought a Taco 2-3 zone control unit for the other zones. When I was connecting the X1 and X2(ZR) of the Taco control unit to the Honeywell I found that the Honeywell was missing the terminal blocks for the ZC & ZR connections. Even the paper work showed how to connect the Honeywell to other control units using those connections. The supply house was closed so last night I took the control unit off the old boiler and used that one. It worked and I hope the service man will be back today with a new one. What I am getting at is: Was I right or did I miss something?
Anyways the boiler works great and the Super Stor is awesome. When I post a link to the pictures you will se what the service man was up against with the existing plumbing.

Old 03-20-07, 03:30 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you might have gotten the wrong "flavor" aquastat... ?

What are the numbers on the two A'stats ?

Old 03-20-07, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Aquastat

Presumably, the new boiler is "cold start". Boilers with cold start aquastats do not have ZC & ZR terminals. I certainly hope you did not get a boiler into which could be installed a tankless. If you did, you made a mistake, sorry.

Old 03-22-07, 11:58 AM
Q
Hi, Yes it is a cold start boiler and so was the Honeywell aquastat. Just as you said the ZC & ZR terminals are not used. Instead I am supposed to connect X1 & X2(ZR) of the Taco controller to the “TT” TT” connections of the Honeywell aquastat which are the same terminals for the thermostat. That is what I did and all is good. Good heat and great hot water. Always learning.
Thanks for your time and help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: