Room remodel involving removal of baseboard heating

Old 04-06-07, 08:37 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Room remodel involving removal of baseboard heating

I'm purchasing a home that needs some updating. One of the projects involves removing a large window and replacing it with a set of patio doors which will then exit to a new deck. To accomplish this, I will need to remove a portion of baseboard heating. I've never had a home before with hot water baseboard heating, so I'm only proceeding with the project with a lot of assumptions. I'm assuming that I can simple remove the section that will be "in the way" and resect it with a new length of copper pipe being placed under the existing floor.

Any advice, cautions, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-07, 09:11 AM
Who
You could also add an in floor convector as well. Usually it's not a good idea just to start eliminating heat sources for rooms.

Old 04-06-07, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Removing baseboard

Who is right about the removal of that much baseboard without making up the loss somehow. Presuming the door to be six feet wide, you are going to be removing about 3600 BTUs of heat from that room.
Here is a link to some information on the Floor Vectors: http://www.2haydon.com/comfort.htm

These will work as long as the floor joists run paralell to the wall. If the joists run other than paralell to the wall or you don't want to use the Floor Vectors, and you have room, you could add three feet to each end of baseboard.

Old 05-04-07, 01:44 PM
F
I have a similar question as Fred's. I'm remodeling my basement and would like to remove a portion of the baseboard to add a door to a new bathroom. Is it possible to remove a portion of the baseboard and reroute the piping up and over the new door and back down to the next baseboard in the line. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

Old 05-04-07, 06:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Rerouting piping

You certainly can take the pipe up & over the door. Unless you box it in you might have some objection to the appearence but it will work. When doing something like this, you need to install baseboard ells on the top corners to prevent air entrapment. I have seen it done within the wall & an access panel left at the upper corners of the doorway. The one I saw done this way had pictures over the access panels. The homeowner put a whole row of pictures along the wall at the same height as the panels so those two did not look out of place.