Dead Honeywell surface ignition module?

Old 04-18-07, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dead Honeywell surface ignition module?

Hi all,

I'd like to know what could kill an ignition module? It use to have a green LED heartbeat, but now does not. I cannot pinpoint a cause. Details below.

It started when my gas conversion steam boiler stopped working. It seemed like an easy enough problem to solve because the flame would come on but stop a few seconds later. In other words, the pre-purge would happen, then the igniter warm up, then the gas would come on and the flame light up, but the gas was then cut-off and the whole cycle repeat after about a minute. I assumed it was because the flame couldn't be detected, so I dove right in.

After replacing the hot surface ignition module (Honeywell S8910U) and the igniter (Norton 201C) and not seeing any change in behavior, I started to look more closely at the wires hoping to find a faulty ground or some such. During this time, I *may* have pulled the ground off the ignition module while it was energized. I then noticed the loss of heartbeat on the module, confirmed the purge-warmup-fire cycle would no longer happen and re-installed the original module which, after all, worked as much as the new unit. To my surprise, even the original does not have a heart beat either.

Does anyone know why that might be? What I could test? The user manual for the ignition module can be found here:
http://www.patriot-supply.com/files/honeywell_s8910u1000.pdf
I've gone through it a bunch of times and I'm still clueless. The loss of heartbeat is not discussed.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-07, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After a service call (I had to, people screaming), my boiler is working again.

Turns out that I may have had a busted ignition module after all, or part of it. On the module, there is a tiny (thumbnail size) daughter card that control the number of fire-up retries and the interval in between. After replacing it, it started working again.

I was so darn close...