Fill-Trol Expansion Tank


Old 06-08-07, 08:25 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 34
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fill-Trol Expansion Tank

Anyone here ever use a Amtrol Fill-Trol Expansion tank for their boiler rather than just a typical Watts ET-30?

I'm looking into them because they look like they might save me money since the Automatic fill valve, and check-valve are built in. It seems for $90 or so I can buy the Fill-Trol, or for $130 I can by a standard tank with a Watts Combo 1156F - 9D Valve.

I don't want to put it in and then find that there are major disadvantages to it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-07, 05:25 AM
Who's Avatar
Who is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,175
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think the tank fitting is unique for that which might be an issue if the tank ever ruptures and you need to find a new tank quickly.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll still need an anti-backflow valve. That Watts combo has one but I don't believe the full-trol tank does. I'd also spend a few extra bucks and get the bronze version B911S.
Old 06-09-07, 07:30 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 34
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From what I've read and gathered so far on the Internet, the Fill-Trol valve has a 1/2" npt thread, so it should screw right into the bottom of the Air Scoop. Also according to the manufacturer in an email I sent them, it also eliminates the need for the backflow preventer.

You make a good point in the fact that if the tank does blow, I probably wouldnt be able to get a new tank locally, so I would have to replace it with a new tank plus the watts combo, which would certainly cost me more money. And now that I think of it, if the tank ever does fail, it would cost me twice as much to replace since it's all in one unit.
Old 06-09-07, 08:17 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 14,247
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts

Take Who's advice. Fill-trols do require a special tee. The tee is 1/2" female pipe thread but the tank is not. When they work, they work well but every one I have trouble with gets yanked out & a standard reducing valve & extrol goes in it's place. If the tank goes bad, especially on a weekend, finding a replacement fill-trol tank is not nearly as easy as a regular extrol.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: