Survey on Favorite Firetube brushes used!

Old 06-26-07, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Survey on Favorite Firetube brushes used!

Hi all-

It's time to go shopping for firetube brushes for my New Yorker FR-122W boiler. Next year will be my first time to clean the firetubes myself I think now is a good time to go shopping. I don't have the ID of the firetube so I need the experience of our moderators et al out there. I think I want to use a stiffer and finer two brush system. Basically something to break up the crude in the tube and push it to the rear smokebox that will be open and I will have an assistant, "The boss" vacuum out the crude as I push it through. That's if she will even assistant since it's going to be dirty. I would provide the jump suit and the filter masks. Since I know how that would turn out, I will probably set up a bag catching system and do it myself with the shopvac with vacuum bag and Hepa filter. Anyway, I would be happy to get any input on size type, brand and where to buy online. Thanks all!!

Old 06-26-07, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Brushes

I can't tell you what size because I'm not familiar with that boiler. I can tell you to start with a medium stiffness fiber brush to get out the loose stuff then go to a fairly stiff wire for the scale.

Helpful Tip: When you get to the wire brush, cut off the loop at the end of the handle & chuck the brush up in a cordless drill. The spinning really helps to cut the scale with a lot less work than back & forth time after time by hand.

Old 06-27-07, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Firetube brushes for boiler

Hi Grady-

Thanks for the tip. That is good advice. The last tech that did the cleaning this year used an oversized stiff brush to push with force thru the firetubes. He pushed so hard that the boiler was wiggling enough that his helper had to hold it from the back. I think I'll do it the way you described which sounds like working smarter, not harder. Once I do the drill technique, I will use a softer brush with a handle to push it through and grab it by the vac and catcher system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: