Ceiling/Overhead mounted temp safety switch for oil burners

Old 07-05-07, 05:13 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceiling/Overhead mounted temp safety switch for oil burners

Hello,
Does a device exist that can be mounted on the ceiling over your oil boiler that is essentiallly a temperature safety switch that will turn off the burner if the safety switch detects that the ambient temperature over the boiler/burner is too high (which could happen in the case of a fire)?

Also is there any temp cutoff switches for oil burners that are mounted in the stack? I have seen these for gas boilers.

KenRo

Old 07-05-07, 07:00 PM
Firetrol

Yes. They are made by Firetrol (and by other companies); these safety devices are usually required by Building Code! Besides the electrical heat sensor, there should be similar protection on the oil line at the burner to cut the oil supply in case of fire as well. Most larger home supply box stores carry these items.

Old 07-06-07, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Thermal Safety Switch

The ceiling mounted thermal switch is often called a "New England Safety Switch". I've never seen one in a home center around here but by the same token they are not requied by local codes. If you install one, buy a second as a spare since they are a one time device & are notorious for popping for no obvious reason.
As far as I know there are no stack mouted thermal switches available for oil burners. Those on gas burners are really intended to detect a blocked vent thus the term "spill switch". They are thermal but the intent is for CO rather than heat. The heat is an easy way to detect a blocked vent.

Old 07-07-07, 04:57 PM
K
Not finding anything with Google search..

Hi Grady/radioconnection,

Thanks for the additional info but I am not finding anything with a Google search. Can you point me to some specific devices?

Thanks
KenRo

Old 07-07-07, 06:47 PM
Oppps! Fireomatic thermal switches..

http://www.highfield-mfg.com/oilvalves/OILVLV23/therm_swithch.htm

The company is Fireomatic! I've found these on the shelf at the local Graybar Electric supply house. My building inspector required two electrical senors for my inspection since I have a a second backup boiler.

Pete

Old 07-07-07, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
New England Safety Switch

Try going to an electrial supply house & tell them what you want. They most likely will have it. If you have a place around you which specializes in moblie home parts, check with them as well. These switches used to be very common in mobile homes. In fact, mobile homes is the only place I've ever seen one.

Last edited by Grady; 07-07-07 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-08-07, 07:51 PM
W
Thermal Safety Switch

Grady & Radioconnection are right; here in New England these thermal switches (also called thermal cutoffs) are code & are installed with every boiler/burner; they are designed to open & cut the power to the burner when the temp around the boiler/burner reaches 165F (there is also a 200F optional unit).

They are much more reliable than in days of yore; there are very few chance trippings; the model by INNER-TITE & others is fixed, & has to be replaced if it ever trips.

The thermal switch by fIROMATIC has a 165f fusible element in the handwheel of the switch that costs less to replace.

Both models are less than $10, & are highly recommended as a safety device.

Old 07-08-07, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Williams

I've never seen one like the Firomatic. If I ever had seen one, I would have wondered what I was looking at. Strange looking device. An electrical switch with a valve handle???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: