High Pitch Sound From Burner

Old 07-05-07, 06:18 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Pitch Sound From Burner

Hellow !! I have a Burnham with Beckett burner. Some times when the burner starts it begins to generate a HIGH PITCH SOUND . Unable at this time to pin point it .. Any ideas where it is coming from ????

I manually started the burner ( CHG TEMP SETTINGS ) but it didnt do it .. I have noticed it a couple of times and now seems louder.. I have a hose ready for the next time it does it so that I pin point it by listening through the hose ..

Have you seen ( heard ) this before ??

THANKS John ...

Old 07-06-07, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
High Pitched Sound

I work on Becketts nearly every day & must say you have a strange problem. My initial guess would be the fuel system. What brand of fuel pump is on the burner? Is the fuel system clean (fuel filter, pump strainer, & fuel lines)?

Old 07-07-07, 06:24 AM
D
Talking

Its a SunTec original part .. I thought that too. I have a spare pump. If I can catch it doing it ... I have a hose handy so that I pin point it ..... I have been buying spare parts all spring where ever I can find a GOOD buy .. I have plans to add a couple of spirovents and swap out the OLD expansion tank..
I want to upgrade the aquatast to digital and use current technology for all the burner controls. I have it all ready .. I am just not ready to do it just yet ...

:-) ........... THANKS JOHN ..

Old 07-07-07, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Noise

If you can catch it in the act & then cure the problem, please post back in this same thread with the results. I'd be interested in what you find. A vacuum gauge on the pump might be a help.

Old 07-10-07, 05:30 PM
D
Smile

It has not returned that I am aware of .. BECAUSE I think I fixed it by chance. The first time I went down to listen for the noise I poked around the unit trying to find the noise. There is an inspection hole for the flame with a spring loaded cover. I moved it back and forth after the furnanced stop. I now believe that there was some leakage from this hole as the cover plate was not postioned where it should be ....... The longer the burner ran the loader it got. !!

Of course after I write this it will probably return :-)

Thanks John ..

Old 07-10-07, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Noise

I somehow doubt the flame observation door was the problem but stranger things have happened. If you get a cool day, crank up the heat so the burner will run for somewhat of an extended period & see if the noise comes back. This could get interesting. Please keep me up to speed on the results.

Old 07-11-07, 06:28 AM
J
I have had the same problem and at times I still do. When I had my service guy out to clean it I mentioned to him about the noise so he investigated it. Sorry if I don't have the correct names and terminology but there is a belt that attaches to a motor which I guess pumps the oil from the tank to the burner. He said it was that belt. However after replacing it it did not fix the problem. After further investigation he found one of the bolts from the housing to the motor side to be striped which was causing a slight sag which is causing the noise. He said it works and did not want to retap the threads so he left at that. At times Its there and at times its not.

Old 07-11-07, 11:45 AM
Red face Blower fan or motor noise

You'all might have heard this one time or another. My experience with high pitched noises was usually the bearings either the motor, the fan attached or the pump or all of the above. I would just oil the motor and it would dissappear. I forgot to oil it one time after a couple years. Normally I believe you should oil the motor once a year. FWIW

Old 07-11-07, 06:58 PM
This probably has absolutely no bearing on this problem but I thought I throw it out there because it's the strangest problem I've run into for a while.

We installed a large (150k btu) ceiling hung garage heater. The client complained of noises (no noise was noticed during the startup procedure). On further investigation there was a really nasty harmonic hum that came and went randomly. All sheet metal seemed tight and we were at whits end. A careful reading of the description in the parts catalog revealed a 'high altitude kit' was required for some installations. Turns out 3000 feet was the magic number. Why they would sell this unit without the high altitude kit in a state that doesn't have any land below 3000 feet is beyond me. But the problem was solved. This was a natural gas unit.

Old 07-17-07, 05:36 PM
D
Angry

FINALLY >>>>>>> The noise is coming from the motor !! I dont see anyway to oil it ?? Must it be swapped out or am I missing where you can oil it ????

Thanks John ..

Old 07-17-07, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Motor

Many motors are not oilable. When you replace it, I suggest one of the newer capacitor start burner motors. All the manufacturers are now using cap start motors on their burners.

Old 07-18-07, 07:52 AM
D
Talking

New motor has been ordered .. Its the latest one !!

Thanks John ....

Old 09-02-07, 12:39 PM
D
Smile Just Want To Share My Novice Experience

Finally got around to replacing the burner motor .. It was a snap but I had to go onto Beckett site for wiring schedmatics to make sure that I wired it backup right .. I did. It works just fine !!

Also replaced the expansion tank and added to each zone one spiro vent and one Honeywell Super Vent which was part of a kit along with the expansion tank.. This project re-worked my soldering skills !!

NOTE: I left the " very old " long expansion tank inline but turned off. One reason that it is pain to get it out they way it is installed and the other.. it is my backup just in case .. good in a pinch !!

Have decided to let someone else do the furnace cleaning and tune up....

Still want to replace the aquastat with the newer L7224U electronic aquastat.. Doesnt seem to be too much of job but alot of wires and need to be sure they go back where they belong ...

I may also replace the fuel pump if only because of its age .. I have a spare but not sure that I will unless it breaks...

I spent some time on the web finding all of these upgrades and saved quite alot. I really saved alot by DOING IT MYSELF !! Average hourly $ around here is about $85 hour.. Thats nuts !!

So there you are ............ If you decide to do it your self ... BESURE read up on it and read gain ... !!

John

Old 09-02-07, 07:51 PM
Thumbs up Congrats!

Good job, it sounds like you did a lot of improvements on your heating system and saved some money in the process... And learned a lot too boot in the process.

$85.00 bucks an hour isn't bad, considering the overhead involved--insurances, trucks, inventory, benefits, etc. And they are entitled to a profit for their work. I don't begrudge a honest tradesman his wages. But, on the other hand, if I can do the work properly and safely, than I do what I'm able to myself!

Pete

Old 09-02-07, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Noise

I will add my congrats to RC's on finding & fixing the high pitched sound. You are indeed wise to read & read again when replacing parts.
I service HVAC equipment for a living, have done so for 20 years, & you would not belive the time I spend reading tech manuals. If I run across something I'm not familiar with & don't have a manual for it, I'll call the manufacturer in a heartbeat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: