Weil McLean Tankless Coil plate leaking

Old 07-17-07, 06:17 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weil McLean Tankless Coil plate leaking

This maybe somewhere in the forum. I have looked but can not find anything on point so here is the issue. I have a 10 year old Weil McLean model 66/68/68v hot water boiler with a tankless coil feeding a 60 gallon tank. The issue is the plate that seals the coil is corroding away and is leaking ever so slightly the nuts and studs are in good shape not perfect but I can not see any reason why they can not be safely removed. Now the issue the tech who sevices my burner every year says he won't touch it if he does the boiler will most likely need to be replaced, he also said that this is a problem with these systems because of the Summer season cycling for hot water causes the tank and the plate to expand and contract at differant rates and the cast itself is what is going not the plate. Now I am not a plumber but a pretty good do it your selfer, I looked at this very carefully and it appears if you removed the plate and replaced it with a seal or sealing material it should stop the leak and ad a few more years to the boiler if infact the cast is erroding as he says. As it stands now I am concerned that it is going to give out sooner then later and with my luck in the middle of a 0degree cold spell in January here in Boston. I am sure you know the question can this be repaired now or am I looking for big trouble if I try. and is a small not even a real drip going to burst into a problem soon? Thank You for your comments in advance

Old 07-17-07, 07:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Coil Gasket

Before replacing the gasket, I'd try snugging the bolts. If that stops the leak, you're way ahead of the game. Replacing a coil gasket is always a gamble but usually things go pretty well. Sounds to me like it's time to find a new service guy. I can't tell you how many times I've had studs snap off, requiring drilling out the remains & re-tapping the threads. In 20 years I've never had to replace a boiler because of trying to replace a coil gasket.
Here's a thread which eventually gets into replacing a coil gasket. That part starts around the 28th post in the thread. It will give you an idea of what can go wrong. Johnny2050 was dealing with a steel boiler rather than cast like yours.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=296347

Old 07-18-07, 06:06 AM
B
Smile Thank You Grady

The other article was right on point and made it clear that I need to take my time with this to do it right. I do have one a couple of newbie questions does this boiler have a gasket I can't find one listed anywhere not even Weil McLean if so where can I get one (most Likely) or can I use the tube sealant you recommeded? Otherwise I am going to take a crack at this this weekend after I go out and find some PB Blast to soak the studs. I will post Pictures of how it goes so others can see what to do and mostly what not to do again thank you very much for your advice it is much appreciated. If your in or around boston the beer is on me just let me know where and when.

Old 07-18-07, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Coil Gasket

If you can't find a premade gasket, just get a sheet of red rubber at any plumbing supply house & make your own. That silicone is good stuff but if you can't find that particular stuff, you can use any silicone that is good to 300, not that your boiler will ever get that hot.

One of these days I'm going to take a couple of weeks to travel & collect all this beer.

Old 08-14-07, 06:56 PM
H
coil leak

if they are brass nuts you are ahead of the game just spray them with a solvent if they are bolts you might have to drill and tap good luck

Old 08-15-07, 07:45 AM
J
WOW I missed this thread. I wonder how he made out? I could have provided him with many tips and suggestions

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: