Looking to change from Oil to Gas can anyone recommend?

Old 08-02-07, 08:30 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to change from Oil to Gas can anyone recommend?

My inlaws have a two family house in Queens NY. They have an one original Oil /Steam furnance for a house that is 1,480 sq.ft. living space. They currently do not have a separate water tank. IS it better to move up to a Gas furnace and separate water tank? What is the ballpark for a job this size? They are both in their 80's and could use to save as much money as they can. They oil burner leaks water at the moment and Petro told them it would be hard to find parts for the existing unit. Can anyone help?

Old 08-02-07, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
New boiler

I suggest you talk to friends, neighbors, relatives, co-workers, etc. about whom they have had do similar work & how well satisfied they were. Try to get several bids for both oil & gas. Sometimes, the local gas utility will have promotions such as a free boiler for converting.

Old 08-03-07, 09:30 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitly get a second opinion from another company. I am a little bit hesitant about what the oil supply company is saying. I think they may just want to sell you a boiler instead of fixing. The water leak could just be a bad gasket. (I am in the process of replacing one on my New Yorker steam boiler)

Now as far as oil vs gas is a good question. You would have to check to see if you have a gas supply line into the house. The cost between the two fuels is going to be the determining factor.

My house is set up with electric hot water heater but that is what came with the house when I purchased it in March.

If you can post what type of boiler you have and pictures if possible. There are plenty of people here that will tell you if parts are available

Old 08-03-07, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You might want to go to http://warmair.net to compare fuel cost for where you are. Yo see if you want gas or oil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: