Huge plumbing project(for me anyway), need help.

Old 08-03-07, 08:14 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Huge plumbing project(for me anyway), need help.

Hello all. Here is the project. I have a mobile home sitting on a foundation with 3' of crawl space underneath. All of my piping of course is down there. I have (3) baseboards in my kitchen and (1) in my bathroom that need to be disconnected until renovations have been made and at that point I will only reinstall the one in the bathroom. I am putting a new wood stove in my kitchen, therefore eliminating the need for the others. I plan on cutting the 3/4 inch piping to each register under my subflooring and adding (2) elbows and a short piece of 3/4" copper pipe to continue the loop. Here is my question: I have a Smith cast iron boiler and need to drain it. I am somewhat familiar with how to do it, but sure would love to get instructions from a pro to ensure there is no snaggles. I also have antifreeze in my system. I live in Maine and was wondering if the antifreeze is absolutely necessary? If so, how do I get the 30% back into the system? Thank you for the help.

Old 08-04-07, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Draining Boiler

At the bottom of the boiler should be a hose bib. Attach a hose to it & run the hose into a bucket to catch the water/anti-freeze. You will likely need several buckets. Turn off the power & fuel. Make sure the water feeding the boiler is turned off. Open the hose bib & when water stops flowing, remove an air vent or open the relief valve to allow air in so water can flow out.
With this being a mobile home, I presume the boiler is at the same level as the baseboard. This being true, you are going to retain a good bit of water in the baseboard so be prepared when you cut the piping.
I strongly suggest getting a pro to put anti-freeze back in the system since it needs to be tested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: