in the oil fired boiler market

Old 08-25-07, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face in the oil fired boiler market

I have the original (1972) oil fired boiler in my eastern Long Island home. I'm currently taking estimates for a new boiler, $4675 for burnham V-83, $5850 for wgo-4 Weil-Mclain ultra.....I need recommendations on reliability of these companies and models. Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-07, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by joe-help View Post
I have the original (1972) oil fired boiler in my eastern Long Island home. I'm currently taking estimates for a new boiler, $4675 for burnham V-83, $5850 for wgo-4 Weil-Mclain ultra.....I need recommendations on reliability of these companies and models. Please help
Did either company do a heat study to size the boiler to your home's heat loss? That is the MOST important first step before worrying about prices or manufacturers.

Second, most modern boilers are only as good as the installer. If they ain't sized right, and ain't installed right, you've lost what ever benefits you'd hoped to gain.

Pricing: impossible to compare by price unless you have a specific list of what's included in the work! New zone controls, pumps/zone valves, pressure regulator-backflow valve, expansion tank, etc. Drop in and replace vs. redoing the near system adds a LOT to the price.

Brands: Crown, Biasi, Pensotti, Burnham, Viesmann (sp?), etc. all are good boilers. Some folks don't like Weil Mclain because the seals between sections can leak.

Have the heat loss done, and pick the contractor wisely.

Pete

Old 08-25-07, 05:13 PM
Angry heat study

No, pete neither co. even mentioned, let alone offered, a heat loss study. Both estimates are for complete renovations... new circulators with isolation valves, operating controls, expansion tank, etc. Water heater is seperate and staying put. House is aprox. 2500sf with 3 zones. I will be inquiring about heat loss study, thanks for your help, keep the comments coming! P.S. push comes to shove, which boiler manufacturer would you go with?

Old 08-25-07, 06:36 PM
Add Buderus to that list! Energy Kinetics is nice, but pricey. I knew I forgot one! I kind of like the European triple pass cold-start boilers. But that's strictly a non-professional opinion! I went with Biasi; but I would have preferred the Buderus. But certainly any of the others are good choices. If you have a pro doing your servicing, he should be comfortable and experienced on what he is going to be servicing. I did my own install, but there is a BIG drawback: I "own" it--NO warranty on the boiler, indirect tank, etc.

Old 08-26-07, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
New Boiler

How do you presently heat the domestic hot water? It might be cheaper in the long run to go with an indirect heated by the boiler. They are costly initially but the long term payback will more than offset the initial cost.

I too prefer the European three pass style boilers, have a Crown CT-3 in my own home, & put in a CT-5 for my dad. The Crown CT series, Biasi, Buderus, Viessman, & Burnham's MPO are all three pass boilers. The Burnham V8 series is a single pass pin style boiler. I personally do not like to use a pin style boiler in a cold start application.

Pete mentioned Energy Kinetics. They are energy efficient but I don't care for them due to high maintenance & repair costs.

Old 08-26-07, 05:37 PM
Whatever brand you get, make sure it has standard burner parts and not foreign parts. Or make sure your installer stocks the foreign parts and hope s/he is available if something happens.

Old 08-27-07, 05:50 PM
Smile The info is great!

I have two more estimates due in this week. I'm starting to lean toward Burnham or Buderus. I am, however, having a difficult time finding someone who has more than "just a few" Buderus installs under their belt. A few points I have been made aware of: 1. The Buderus (w/logamatic option) may need the chimney to be sleaved for proper draft at low temp operations? 2. Grady, the seperate hot water heater is still too new to get rid of yet, I will ask installers to prepare the new boiler to accept a conversion in the future. 3. A few folks have mentioned Peerless to me for the first time. Thank you all for the great info.

Old 08-27-07, 07:30 PM
new boiler

Many of the new high-efficiency oil boilers may have a low enough stack temperature that condensation occurs in issues in clay-lined chimneys. The condensation is acidic and eats masonary and clay linings. The problem comes with the high efficiency... Better efficiency, less heat up the chimney.

Old 08-27-07, 07:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Chimney/Peerless

The chimney should probably be lined regardless of the boiler selected. All modern boilers run at a significantly lower stack temperature than did those of 30+ years ago.

I am not familiar with the Peerless Pinnacle (oil) or their Pro series but I have used Peerless in the past with no complaints. The Pinnacle oil is a condensing (over 90% efficient) boiler made of stainless. Quite pricey I would imagine. If you could find a dealer who is reputable & wants to install one but never has, you might be able to work a deal where he could show off your installation once in a while in return for some financial consideration on the installed price.