No ignition on New Yorker oil burner

Old 09-11-07, 08:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No ignition on New Yorker oil burner

My mother has a New Yorker oil burner with a Beckett pump model AFG. The unit is about 7 years old and has been constant problems. Anyway, in the last year these items have been replaced by a plumber or myself. Nov. 2006 a new Primary and cad cell. June 2007 a new Transformer and removed the modulator valve from the pump thinking that may be the problem. August 2007, another new Primary, new pump, new electrodes, and new Aquastat. The unit might fire up after you push the reset button several times. If and when it fires up, it MAY run until the unit reaches temperature. If it does stay running long enough to reach temperature and shut off normally, it will not fire up again whan called for heat. The pump does run for maybe about 15 seconds, but then the Primary shuts the system down I guess because the cad cell does not detect any flame. The three plumbers that have serviced the unit hesitate to call back because they feel guilty they can not solve the problem. The one fella did not even charge me the last time. He did get it running back in July, but we both knew it might run for a day or a month. That is how it has been the last year. However, now, it hardly even fires up. The unit has had regular cleanings and the tip and filter replaced also in August.
At my wits end, and the temperature is getting colder. Need help and suggestions. PLEASE. Thanks, Mike

Old 09-12-07, 08:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Parts Changers

It sounds like you are dealing with parts changers rather than professional oil burner service technicians. Check with your oil company to see if they have a service department. If they do, ask to have their best troubleshooter come out & check the burner IF they perform a complete (preferably electronic) combustion analysis.

There are countless problems which could cause your problem & a lot of them are simple adjustments.

Old 09-12-07, 09:09 PM
Wink

Im with Grady Get a oil burner tech for sure. I dont think I have ever heard of that many new parts going into a oil burner in that length of time.

Old 09-13-07, 06:43 PM
M
Thanks Grady and ED for your reples. Another service guy got the oil burner running. Not sure as to what he did because I was not there, only my mother. My mom said he will send me the bill with an explanation as to what he did. The bill will be about $70.00 my mother said, so I figure he did not replace any parts at that price. See the problem is the company I get the oil from does not service oil burners. You are forced to find someone on your own. I called several guys in the yellow pages but they all say that they need to take care of their regular customers first, and now is a bad time because everybody is calling for a cleaning and tuneup. Anyway, the oil burner is running but I will not feel too warm and fuzzy yet. Been there before.

Old 09-14-07, 06:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Burner Service

Check with others in the area about whom they use for oil burner service & how well satisfied they have been. Once you select a service company who comes highly reccommended, develop a working relationship with them. Explain any problems you've had in the past & get the new company to go over the system completely.

One tip off to a professional service company is their use of test equipment, particularly combustion testing. When you call, ask if they perform a combustion analysis, preferably electronic, & leave a print out with you.

Old 09-16-07, 05:54 PM
M
Just an update on the bill I thought was going to be about $70.00 per my mom anyway. The total bill was $245.00
The diagnostic fee was $69, Cleaning was $129, and setting the electrodes and pump pressure was 47. Oh well, a long way from what I was expecting per by mother (I guess she misunderstood the guy). but as long as the burner is finally set up right and running, I guess it is worth it. Maybe now it will be more efficient and burn less oil.

Old 09-16-07, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mike13

Sounds like you have encountered a "flat rate" service company. I don't understand why they charged a separate charge for adjusting the electrodes & pump pressure. That should be included in a routine cleaning. The nozzle, pump screen, & fuel filter should have been replaced as well. Did they do that?
If I were you, I'd call the service company & ask what the problem was since they charged a "diagnostic fee".

Old 10-08-07, 11:58 AM
Red face What about the combustion analysis?

I'm a little late to this thread but since it sounded like something I am interested in, I decided to bump it. I had a feeling it was all in the adjustment and that the part changers never really adjusted anything. I bet the electrodes and the pump fuel pressure was the key. Of course the filter and if it has a screen were clean too besides cleaning the firetubes et al.

That's my biggest gripe about not getting someone who has the equipment to adjust the boiler correctly.

Last edited by hexonx; 10-08-07 at 12:00 PM. Reason: cuz I felt like it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: