Boiler not firing!

Old 09-22-07, 11:00 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boiler not firing!

Having had the boiler off for the summer (only provides heating) it is refusing to ignite.
The boiler is a Slant Fin GG100 and I have put some photos up to assist with my description.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13980426@N03/1424068688/.

The pilot is on and when first powered up you can hear electrical noise and then nothing.

I do not have any manuals for the system and this type of heating system/furnace is not what I am used to having emigrated from England.

Over the summer I did have to turn the water off and re-set the pump (water supplied by well). Could this have caused a problem? How would I check this?

Any suggestions for what I could check?

Also in the pic "Boiler 6", where should the black valve be positioned, in the open or closed.

Any help would be appreciated as I would prefer not to call out an engineer if it is a simple fix.

Thank you

Michael

Old 09-22-07, 11:52 AM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I would start by going here and downloading and reading the manuals. It appears that model has a standing pilot which must be lit manually. No pilot, no gas... so that's where you need to start I believe.

http://www.slantfin.ca/cgi-bin/speci...galaxyggseries

Ooops, I just re-read and see you said the pilot is on ... but still, there's the manual for ya !

Old 09-22-07, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

The pilot is on and when first powered up you can hear electrical noise and then nothing.

What like and where was the noise????. Might check and see if you have 24V at that transformer. Then 24V at the gas valve.

Old 09-22-07, 02:37 PM
G
Thanks for the links to the manuals.

I will check for 24v at the transformer and gas valve and report back.

The noise it makes when the power is turned on is a whirring noise for a few seconds. This noise repeats when the thermostat control is turned from auto to off or the power is turned off. I hope that is descriptive enough.

Old 09-22-07, 03:01 PM
G
The noise sounds to be coming from the four boxes by all the red pipes.

Old 09-22-07, 03:20 PM
D
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
Thanks for the links to the manuals.

I will check for 24v at the transformer and gas valve and report back.

The noise it makes when the power is turned on is a whirring noise for a few seconds. This noise repeats when the thermostat control is turned from auto to off or the power is turned off. I hope that is descriptive enough.

the whirring noise sounds a vent damper motor. It opens the vent on a call for heat and closes the vent when the thermostat is satisfied. It has an end switch, which is part of the safety switch circuit. So you need to check the end switch and also the blocked vent and rollout switches. One of the safety switches may have a manual reset button, look for that also.

Old 09-22-07, 04:22 PM
G
Smile

Thank you for your input. I have traced the problem to the bunch of wires above the red pipes. One bad connection had caused the problem.

I really appreciate the prompt and friendly advice. I am really pleased to have found this site and now todays problem is solved I shall check out the other forums.

At least I am out of the dog house for not calling someone out yesterday. I just hate spending money on things that can be done with a little help from my friends

Old 09-24-07, 11:43 PM
G
I spoke too soon!

everything seemed fine from Saturday evening to Monday afternoon/evening. After supper we noticed the pilot light was out and when we lit the pilot the burners failed to fire. It had been windy today so that may have caused the pilot to blow out as it has done previously.

The transformer is putting out 26v when it was 25v on Saturday. Could this be the problem?

When the thermostat is turned up the circulation pump starts up and sops when turned off.

The blocked vent safety has a floppy button in the middle I have pressed this several times with power on and off. Is this sufficient to reset if tripped?

The flame roll out is white and has a capacitor under it. This does not appear to have any means of resetting.

How would I be able to check the operation of the Aquastat or gas valve.

Any suggestions for what to check?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: