Help chosing between two boilers?

Old 10-10-07, 07:29 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help chosing between two boilers?

Our 17 yr. old HB smith boiler needs replacing.
Major corossion between the 3rd and 4th boiler sections and the tankless water heater is also showing major corossion.
at last cleaning the oil co. didnt want to touch it due to corrosion.

I have 6 estimates and have narrowed it down to 2.

1st - Dunkirk Ultimate cast iron, model PF03T.
$5,800

2nd - Weil McClain WTGO-3 boiler.
$5,476.93

Both quotes include Becket Model AFG burner, Taco 007 circulator, Honywell zone valves (2) plus all needed valves and fittings. Also a new oil line from the tank.

Any input on which might be a better choice of boiler would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Steve

Old 10-10-07, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Boiler Choices

Why those two? There is far better/more efficient equipment out there.

I'm not first hand experienced with the Dunkirk but don't like Weil-McLain because of the "elastomeric seals" (read: rubber o-rings or gaskets) between the sections. I have had terrible luck with their warranty service as well. It seems they will do anything to get out of their warranty obligation.

Old 10-10-07, 08:27 PM
S
I've never had problems with Weil Mclain that Grady has had honoring warranties or with the seals, however Weil Mclain oil boilers are a pain in the neck to clean.
Also, have been having problems finding nozzles when servicing. The newer ones are using a 45 degree solid nozzle that is difficult to find.
I have no experience with Dunkirk either.You may want to check out another manufacturer, Burnham possibly.

Old 10-11-07, 08:07 AM
P
thanks for the reply...

Not knowing anything about Boilers I was going with the two estimates from the companies who made a better impression during the inspection and estimate.. and Pricing..

I cant find "reviews" of boilers like I can with some products...
I would pay more for the better more efficiant boiler if I can find some kind of reviews / recomondations ?????

We had 6 - 7 estimates, I'll post what the others wanted to install.

I am concerned with the seal between sections as that is the problem with my current HB smith. leaks between the 3rd and 4th sections. We also replaced the current tankless water heater coil about 8 years ago and the current one has leak/corrosion all over it.
Location in a 3.5' crawl space limits the size of the boiler??? My guess is that limits my choices???
(cement floor has a 1 foot pit the boiler goes in so about 4.5' for the available hight...

I could tell some of the guys werent that interested to do the removal / install in a crawl space. I assumed thats why their quotes were $1000 more ??? But maybe their boilers were better ??????

Thanks for any suggestions..

Steve

Old 10-11-07, 08:41 AM
T
I am getting bids for a new boiler as well. My research and talking to some of the contractors that have come out to give us a bid have steered us away from Burnham. According to these folks, the American manufacturers have not taken major steps to improve their products in the last 10-15 years. The European companies (Viessmann and Buderus) have been agressive due to higher fuel prices. The German government has also underwritten a considerable amount of the research.

For comparison sake the quote I have for a Burnham with a Becket burner is right in line with what you have. Buderus and Veismann are about $2K more.

Tree

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: