Newbie here with some questions?

Old 10-10-07, 06:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie here with some questions?

Hi all,
I am new to this site but can see I will be psending a lot of time around these boards.

I am in the middle of rehabbing an older home. It was built in 47' but I think has had a newer boiler put in since then. I recently just fired it up and lit the pilot light after having all new gas lines ran into the house. I noticed when I turned it on and lit the pilot everything seemed fine. However, once I kicked up the heat and it started running I could smell gas. It seems to me that maybe it is not burning all of the gas. Is this normal? Should I give it a few hours to see if it clears out? I shut it all back down and closed the gas valve just in case. Thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-10-07, 07:58 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm assuming that you had contracted pros to install the gas line ? I also assume that they leak tested when they were done ?

If you smell gas, something is wrong, I wouldn't recommend waiting a few hours and trying it again.

Best advice would probably be to call a heating contractor in to check over the system.

Old 10-10-07, 09:55 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
I'm assuming that you had contracted pros to install the gas line ? I also assume that they leak tested when they were done ?

If you smell gas, something is wrong, I wouldn't recommend waiting a few hours and trying it again.

Best advice would probably be to call a heating contractor in to check over the system.
Yes Sir!

All of the plumbing was done by a licensed contractor. I will give them a call and have them come back out and assess the problem. Thanks for your help and was hoping it was something that was simple and normal to smell at first.

Old 10-11-07, 07:53 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It _could_ be that simple. Ya know, when stuff starts heating up you get funny smells sometimes that go away after a while. But you probly don't wanna take chances, you may have a problem in the furnace. Might be a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: