Best Time?

Old 10-22-07, 03:50 PM
Best Time?

When is the best time of year to have a boiler replaced, so as to get the best deal? I have a 35 year old American Standard, that is working but I figure its about time. Itís a gas Hot Water system.

PSE&G came by and gave a quote for a WEIL MCLAIN unit, not a high efficiency unit, with built in Water heater. $7800, with out the water heater $5800. Said the Ultra models would run $15000 installed!

He tried to scare me off from replacing the water heater separately, saying all new stand alone models have a problem with the air filtration on them required by law. If itís a dusty environment, can lead to early failure and this is happening often to people! Any truth to that?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-07, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pse&g

For a utility, that price sounds awfully high. I suggest you shop around.

The ideal time to replace a boiler is in the spring or summer when if things don't go exactly according to plan, it's not a major disaster.

We have had a lot of trouble with the new water heaters. From an operating cost stand point, an indirect is cheaper than a stand alone.

Old 10-22-07, 06:56 PM
Who
Spring time... as long as the installer isn't big on AC. I'd estimate that a modcon would save about 30% over a new conventional - definitely something to consider.

An indirect on a modcon gives you the most energy efficient method for making hot water short of solar AND its good for your boiler - keeps it working regularly over the course of the summer.

I'd wait and shop around over the winter if you aren't in a rush... my favorite boiler is the Triangle-Tube Prestige. TT also makes a great indirect.

It's nice when the boiler doesn't have to be slammed in quick so that heat can be restored immediately.

Try and find an installer who's work you really admire.