Sight Glass Full but boiler isn't

Old 10-24-07, 11:35 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sight Glass Full but boiler isn't

My 2 year old Utica Boiler (single pipe steam) sight glass shows full to the top with water. When I reduce the water level in the boiler, the sight glass remains full. I have emptied the boiler totally and still the sight glass is full. How do I fix this unfortunate problem, now that heating season is at the door.

Old 10-24-07, 11:58 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Your lower connection is plugged. You are going to have to remove the glass, remove the lower valve and then clean everything out.

This should not have plugged in just two years. Do you have poor quality well water? Have you faithfully "blown down" the boiler at least once a month during the heating seasons?

Old 10-24-07, 12:09 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sight glass

Hey Furd, thanks for your quick reply. The answer is that I really do flush my system regularly at least once a month, and no well water, regular town utility water (I understand it is pretty hard though). So just remove the sight glass, that is easy enough, and the lower valve? What should I clean it out with, sort of a pipe cleaner??? Sorry if I seem a little uneducated in this....

Old 10-24-07, 01:28 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You need to use whatever works to clean out the crap and corruption. (those are technical terms )

If your lower valve has a drain valve on it then you should periodically "blow the glass" by first closing the upper valve and opening the drain valve. Then close the lower valve and open the top valve. Finally open the lower valve (both upper and lower valve now open) and then close the drain valve.

Most residential steam boilers do not have an easily operable drain valve. Often you can remove the silly drain and replace it with a 1/8 inch pipe valve. You do need to pipe the drain to a safe place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: