Aquastat transformer burnt

Old 10-30-07, 05:27 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aquastat transformer burnt

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my heating system.
New Yorker Low pressure Boiler
Triple Aquastat relay l8124a
Taco 007 Circulator

My problem is the aquastat transformer is burning up on the left side coils (not sure if this is the primary or secondary coil). And I have no control from the thermostat to turn on the system.

My boiler is operating to heat the homes hot water, but I have no control for circulating the heating system side water throughout the house.

Could a bad circulator draw enough load to burn up the coil?

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Old 10-30-07, 08:54 AM
J
pump

I've messed with it some more, and have 24v supply to my thermostat. When I first turn on the thermostat, i get about 19v at the zone valve, and about 5-10 seconds later the power drops off to 0v.

I also get the same readings at the thermostat hookup on the Aquastat relay box. So I know the thermostat heat demand signal is reaching the aquastat controller.

I have 115V at L1

I'm thinking my Circulator pump may be stuck drawing to much current and over loading my transformer.

does this sound plausible?
Is there a way to test a circulator pump?

has anyone run into a situation like this?

Thanks for any help, Bob

Old 10-30-07, 05:01 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
The circulator doesn't run on 24, it is run on 120VAC, switched through a relay in the aquastat, so the answer is no, the circulator can't overload the transformer.

Old 10-30-07, 06:10 PM
J
relay

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware that the circulator runs off 120v and not 24v, sorry maybe I didn't write that up very good.

My circulator was frozen, as I never heard or felt any flow through it until I gave it a few gentle raps with a hammer. And now when I trigger the relay I get a good sense of flow felt and heard through the circulator.

But with the burnt transformer, I still have no control to turn it on properly until I get a new part.

I just don't want to install an expensive part and have it burn up again if I could have replaced another possible faulting part at the same time.

We do have some bad power here in this town and have brown outs, and probably spikes which I guess could wreak havoc on the transformer.

I still haven't determined if the burnt side of the transformer is the primary or secondary. Which I guess would be nice to know, so I can tell if it's a power input spike or an excessive current draw.

I'll keep tinkering with it while I wait on parts.

Thanks for any help, Bob

Old 10-30-07, 07:31 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
It's not that uncommon for circulators to 'seize' during the summer non-use months. Some of them have the end of the motor shaft with a screwdriver slot available for turning it so you don't have to 'persuade' it with the hammer. It might be under the stick on label on the end of the motor.

The problem with the transformer would be very hard to troubleshoot without being there and seeing it (along with the correct test equipment).

Are there any zone valves on your system ?

Old 10-31-07, 04:56 AM
J
valves

Thanks for the info on the screw on the circulator. I didn't see one on my unit, but i'll look again.

Yes, I have two Zone Valves in my system. They are new and were just replaced about a month ago.

I was just thinking about the problem this morning and realized that I change an extreme number of light bulbs in this house, compared to what I would consider normal. I'm leaning toward bad power input as a likely culprit to the transformer frying.

I'll press on, when I get some parts.

Thanks for the help and if you have any other ideas, i'm all ears.

Old 10-31-07, 07:30 PM
If the zone valves use another transformer for their power, look very closely at the wiring of the new zone valves before replacing the aquastat. Two transformers will 'buck' each other until one dies if they are not isolated. A simple wiring fault could cause what is happening to your transformer. If you are trying to power zone valves from the aquastat transformer, that could cause problems too if the current draw is too great.

Ken

Old 11-04-07, 03:15 PM
J
relay

Thanks for the info about the Zone valve transformer, I'll check it out too, before installing the new aquastat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: