hissing and spitting

Old 10-30-07, 12:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hissing and spitting

I'm living in my first apartment and its just starting to get cold and I can't get hold of my building manager.

As far as I can tell from looking at pictures, I have a one-pipe steam radiator. There's been some banging, but nothing too bad. Until now -- Around 6am this morning my heaters woke me up with sounds of hissing that quickly became bubbling. I stepped out of bed and right into a small puddle. When I turned on the light, water wasn't just spitting, but full out running out of what I guess is the air vent about 2/3rds of the way up the side. And it was most certainly hot enough to burn. I turned the knob on the floor all the way to closed which stopped the water. About an hour later after my shower, I started hearing this gurgling from the radiator and turned it back on to see what it would do. It sounded like water was rushing out of it and then it was fine. It warmed up, didn't hiss, didn't gurgle, nothing. And then maybe a half hour later, I started hearing the hissing again, and sure enough, water was starting to spit from the vent.

Long story short -- is this something maybe I did or didn't know to do? Is there a way I can fix this if I can't get a hold of my building manager? (Three calls and two messages and still nothing...) I absolutely don't want to let it run while I'm sleeping, but its the only radiator in the room and its going to get cold tonight...

Old 10-30-07, 05:51 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You need to get the super to respond. Do whatever it takes. There's really not much you can do yourself, and you don't own the building or the heating equipment, so it's not yours to do anything to.

If it is indeed a steam system, and you have water running out the rads, something is drastically wrong, and could even be a safety concern...

Dang it p's me off to hear stories like this. They'll be knocking on your door at 6AM on Sunday if you're late with the rent, I guarantee. Put the shoe on the other foot and what happens ?

He has a legal obligation to you to deliver what he promised, a habitable home. Without heat, and with water leaking on the floor, I don't think he's upholding his end of the deal. I believe you have legal rights to with-hold rent monies, but you need to check that for yourself.

Old 10-31-07, 05:25 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, he came yesterday and replaced the air vent, but I've been up for a few hours at this point because I heard bubbling and sure enough, the towel I put down just in case was soaked. Now my living room radiator (which we had been keeping off until a few days ago since it wasn't that cold) is starting to make the same noises that the bedroom one did about a week ago.

Anyone have any ideas what I can tell him other than 'so, yeah, still leaking?' He seems concerned enough about his floor being damaged (he apparently came over right after I called, but I was at school).

Old 10-31-07, 07:12 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If that is indeed a steam system, and there is that much water in the radiators, there is a big problem with the boiler and/or piping.

Where is the boiler located ? Can you look at it ? (don't touch anything, just look)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: