valve for baseboard heating

Old 10-30-07, 06:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
valve for baseboard heating

Hello

I have baseboard heating at my newly purchased house. All the units work, especially in the 2 second floor rooms, but the 1st floor stays somewhat cool, if not cold at times. I have a sunroom that also has the baseboard slant fins radiators in it. They don't get hot at all. How can I get them to work, can I bleed those lines, and see if that will make them work? Also, can I put a shutoff valve of something on one of the baseboard radiators in the 2 bedrooms. It would great drop the temp on the 2nd floor, and that would be a blessing, just way to hot up there at times.

thanks

REV

Old 10-30-07, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Baseboard

Without knowing how the system is piped, I can't offer any advise about valves. I can tell you that if this baseboard is the finned copper tube type, you can remove the cover & wrap part of the length with heavy aluminum foil. Finned tube baseboard heats mostly by convection. Stopping the air flow thru part of it, cuts down on the amount of heat you get.

The part which won't heat may have small bleeder vents under the cover on the ends of the baseboard. If yours does, try opening these vents until you get water.

Old 10-30-07, 09:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Grady

I believe the baseboards are Slant Fin brand, though they are a wee bit old. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. As for bleeders, I don't think mines have that feature, but will double check.

As for how things are piped, they are water heated from the furrnace I believe. The 2 baseboards in the sun room have lever type valves on then a couple of feet from the furnace. They also have faucets just before the valves that I think are used to allow water to be bleed from the lines. I will see.

In any event, any help about the current heat wave in the bedrooms is priority one.

thanks again

revclyburn

Old 10-30-07, 09:33 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Rev, if you can take pics and post them on photobucket.com we may be able to make some more suggestions after seeing them. Post a link to your pics here.

The heatwave in the bedrooms could be what's called "gravity flow" ... circulation of water when the boiler is off due to the different 'weight' of the hot water in the boiler, and the cooler water in the pipes. Hot water is lighter and will go up and out of the boiler into the upstairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: