Easiest way to replace an old radiator union?

Old 11-07-07, 09:18 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest way to replace an old radiator union?

What is the easiest way to replace the small union coming out of a forced hot water radiator? The union nut is cracked and slides right off. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Old 11-08-07, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Union

If you are talking about the union on an old cast iron radiator, they make a special wrench called a spud wrench.
If there no "ears" inside the union half, the spud wrench won't do you any good. You may have to use a large easy out. There is a possibility of cracking the radiator. You may want to heat the unoin half with a torch before trying to extract it.

Old 11-11-07, 10:56 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Grady. No luck finding any sort of union wrench at my local Lowes. Since the back of the nut was sheared of completely, I was able to slide it off the union and then use a pipe wrench to free the union after applying some WD-40 and heating it. There were no "ears" but the union did have a six pointed star shape inside the threaded end. I ended up having to re-use the union since the replacement valve I bought came with a union that was about 1/2" too short for the exisiting installation. A wide flat blade screwdriver did the trick inside the star for re-installing it.

Old 11-11-07, 11:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Spud Wrench

You wouldn't find such a wrench at a big box store. Maybe a plumbing supply or HVAC supply house. It fits inside the "star" in the union. I've used all sorts of "tools" to get them out until I got a spud wrench. In any case, you did well & got the job done. Way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: