O-ring at Taco circulator pump flange

Old 11-09-07, 08:36 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
O-ring at Taco circulator pump flange

I'm replacing a Taco 007-F3 circulator pump with a new one that is Taco 007-F5. The new one came with O-rings (with a rectangular cross section) and the old one appears to have had a standard gasket but no O-ring. Is this a design change between -F3 and -F5, or am I missing something? I was planning to use the existing cast iron flanges (still on the pipe after I cut the bolts and removed the old pump) -- but now I wonder if I need to change the flanges to accommodate the O-ring design -- or is this rectangular O-ring designed to fit in the groove of the pump flange, but simply lean against the flat surface of the pipe flange? Also, there is some corrosion on the old flange surface ... how should I prepare this?... steel wool? Also, should I grease the O-ring with petroleum jelly? Finally, how hard should I torque the new bolts? Thanks!

Old 11-10-07, 08:36 AM
X
I can't speak to a design change that would make the flanges useless, but if they are corroded then perhaps replacing them now would save some work later. It almost sounds as if the flanges might be from a pump before the 007-F3.

If you can fit Taco Freedom shut-off flanges in there, that would be a simple solution and make future maintenance easier. Or just a new set of flanges. I don't think you need to lube the o-rings. Tighten snug, but don't kill 'em. As this stuff heats and cools, there is a fair bit of expansion. You can always snug them down a bit later if there's any weeping.

Old 11-10-07, 08:43 AM
You can buy flat circulator gaskets at any hardware store.

Otherwise, the ring gaskets that came with the pump will work--just insert them into the channel on the pump flange, and they will seal up against the flat face on the fixed flange. Be sure to clean off any residue from the old gasket that may still be adhering to the metal surfaces first.

I usually use a little NeverSieze on the gaskets so they "find there way" when being snugged down, but it isn't probably really needed.

Pete

Old 11-10-07, 08:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Flange Gasket

I have, in a couple of applications, had to use both the
O-ring & regular oval flange gaskets. I would have prefered to change the flanges but there was not room to get a pipe wrench between the flange & wall. Normally you can just clean the flange with a stiff wire brush but if it is deeply pitted, I suggest replacement. If there is enough play in the pipes, you might want to install isolation flanges. They make changing a circulator super easy.

Old 11-11-07, 05:52 PM
A
Thanks

Thanks to Xiphias, Radioconnection, and Grady for your help. I scraped the flanges, steel wooled them, reassembled with the O-rings with Form-A-Gasket. No leaks. And I have heat in that zone now too.

Old 11-12-07, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Form-A-Gasket

Good job Andy. Glad you got things back up & running.

We know 'bout that stuff, don't we guys? Grady's favorite stuff. Hope Andy used #2 'cause heaven help him if he used #1 (the hardening stuff) & ever has to get those flanges loose again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: