8 yr old Burnham: Fix or Replace

Old 11-13-07, 04:20 PM
Cool 8 yr old Burnham: Fix or Replace

I've got an 8 yr old Oil Burning Boiler for Hot Water and Radiator Heat. I've been told by my Oil Company that I should replace the furnace due to the fact that the combustion chamber (fire box) has been breached. The green jacket around the boiler has got burn areas, and you can hear a sizzling noise when the boiler turns off. In reviewing this site, it appears as though there have been all sorts of problems with Burnham oil burning boilers manufactured in 1999. My model number is RSA125RHTB. Estimate to replace with a Smith Cast Iron boiler and add an indirect Hot Water tank is $6500, and I plan to get additional estimates from a few more companies.

Any advice on course of action would be greatly appreciated. Obviously it would be preferable not to drop almost $7k on a replacement boiler given the current one is only 8 yrs old, but if I'm likely to have further problems, and if it's possible that the firebox cannot be repaired, I'd rather not put money into a lemon. Thanks for your help - this site is great!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-07, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Burnham RS

You have the cheapest piece of junk Burnham ever made. Replace it. The chamber burnout was probably not due to a manufacturing defect. The problems Burnham had were with cast iron boilers. Yours is steel.

Old 11-14-07, 06:45 PM
Upvotes Received: 1
The problem you are experiencing is normally caused by the absence of bypass piping. Without seeing pictures it would be hard to say. What type of radiation do you have? The boiler should still be under warranty. The shell may be covered 100% the first ten years, except labor of course.

Old 11-14-07, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Warranty

It may still be under warranty but even if it is, I'd still chuck it or ask if Burnham will allow you something toward a better boiler.

Old 11-15-07, 06:06 AM
I am going to replace it. Burnham won't honor warranty since I'm not the original homeowner. Thanks for the advise.

Old 11-15-07, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
New Boiler

You're welcome. Before buying a new boiler do a heat loss calculation on the house. There is a good & free one available from slantfin.com. It's called Hydronic Explorer II (?).

Last edited by Grady; 11-15-07 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling