Boiler System Removal

Old 11-18-07, 06:47 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler System Removal

Hello. I am new to this forum, but I hope to find some information to help me remove the boiler system from my new home.

My home has an older boiler heating system and we are upgrading to a heat pump/forced air system. It will save me a considerable amount of $ to remove the old boiler system from the home myself.

I don't know much about heating and cooling systems, so forgive any mistakes I might make.

The home has an older boiler system which circulates to baseboard units. The piping in the baseboard units is copper with aluminum (i think) fins along the copper. The home has 2 floors and crawl space under the first floor.

I need to just remove the entire system. I know I can cut the copper and remove everything in the crawl space, but am unsure what to do about the piping under the floor on the second story.

Is it ok to just leave the copper under the floor? how should I cap it off, or can it be left open?

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. And remember that i am removing the system and have no need to keep anything in working order. I would like to scrap all of the copper I can salvage, but other than that it is all useless to me.

thanks in advance,
wgibson

Old 11-18-07, 08:04 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wgibson
... are upgrading to a heat pump/forced air system...
Upgrading ? not in my personal opinion, but it's your home! I forgive you.

Is it ok to just leave the copper under the floor? how should I cap it off, or can it be left open?
Sure, take out what you can get to, leave the rest. I don't see any need to cap anything off.

Last edited by NJT; 11-18-07 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 08:28 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
I don't know much about heating and cooling systems, so forgive any mistakes I might make.
Ripping out a hot water heating system would be just about the biggest mistake you could ever make. It's easier to distribute water than air. A hot water heating system more efficient.

What issues are you having with your current system?

Old 11-19-07, 07:10 AM
Don't cap anything, you need to drain the old system fully.

Personally, I'd leave the old radiation system in place; you will find it will be extremely expensive to recreate the piping and radiation throughout the house if you decide to go back to hydronic heating. Hydronic heating is the best way to heat a home.

Old 11-19-07, 09:25 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
W, those three guys live in areas where hydronic systems are common. I live in an area where forced air is common yet I agree with the others that hydronic is king.

You did not post where you live or the heating needs of your home. An "older" (I don't know what you mean by older) house is often an energy hog and a heat sieve so if you are going to a heat pump primarily to lower your heating bills you may be putting the cart a mile ahead of the horse.

Maybe you HAVE given this serious thought and have also thoroughly upgraded your house for energy efficiency along with doing heat loss / heat gain calculations. If so and the numbers work well for you going to the heat pump then the information that has been supplied concerning just removing what you can and ignoring that which you cannot remove applies.

Old 11-19-07, 11:34 AM
J
Forced air is horrible compared to hydronic. IMO you are making a mistake.

Old 11-19-07, 12:29 PM
X
Hate to pile on, but....

For the kind of cash you are about to drop on a heat pump and forced air, you could do a serious makeover of the hydronic system (put in a new, modern super-efficient boiler and controls, maybe upgrade some of the baseboards to hydronic panel radiators, etc.), and upgrade the building envelope as well.

Such a system would likely be healthier than forced air (moldy dusty air ducts, yucko), IMHO way more comfortable, and more energy-efficient and cost-effective in the long run.

Old 11-19-07, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Piling on

I agree with the rest. It's your house, money, & comfort, but I think you are making a major mistake. I would elvaluate the system after doing a heat loss calculation & make changes but I'd keep the hydronic heat & add A/C.

Old 11-19-07, 06:23 PM
A
If you like nose bleeds and dry skin remove the baseboard system and put in forced air. You should 1st disconnect any electrical power then turn off the fuel supply and drain out the water. The rest is just good old fashion elbow grease.

But don't do it!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: