Trouble with 2nd Floor heat

Old 11-19-07, 12:14 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trouble with 2nd Floor heat

I have scoured this forum in hopes of finding a solution to no avail. I hope someone can give me some advice.

I recently did some work on the 1st floor and needed to move one of the baseboard registers for the FHW in this room. I drained the system, did the work and fired everything back up. I now have heat on the 1st floor, but cannot seem to get heat to the 2nd floor.

Here's what I have attempted thus far:

1) Bled the system - opened the 1st floor return drain, manually switched on autofill and ran the circ pump to bleed that circuit of air. I repeated this on the second floor circuit.

2) Repressurized the expansion tank and tested the airscoop/valve- all seems ok.

3) I was/still am getting a call for the heat to the second floor, and the 2nd floor circ pump is running, but the return has stayed ICE cold. Hot water seems to be making it out of the basement, but not making it to the 2nd floor. I thought this might be that the circ pump was running at a diminished capacity, so I replaced it. I am getting the same result.

It is a Weil Mclein He-66 boiler (about 22 y.o) with a Aquabooster to the household H2O. The circs are Taco 007-F5's. Here are some shots of the system:

Autofill/ Return lines w/ Circ

Entire System 2

Aquabooster

Feed lines

Return Drains- 1st floor

Old 11-19-07, 03:17 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Those black handle valves above the circs need to be used to purge the system properly.

Turn boiler off.

Hook a drain hose to the 2nd floor drain on the return.

Close both black handle valves.

Open the 2nd floor drain.

Open the fast fill lever on top of the pressure reducing valve.

Let run until no air bubbles.

Close fast fill

Close drain

Open black valves.

Try it ...

This will force water down through the return, into the boiler, up the supply to the 2nd floor, down the return, and out the drain. If you don't close those black valves, the water will simply go through the circ, and right back up the pipe to the drain, never making it to the 2nd floor.

Old 11-19-07, 06:06 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much!

Yes- closing those valves before the circ pumps was the step I was missing. After closing those, I was able to get that pesky air out of my pipes and return heat to my 2nd floor.

I deeply appreciate both your endless wisdom, and your extremely prompt reply. I was not looking forward to having company over the Thanksgiving holiday without heat!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: