Fuel Oil Stablizer, Treatment

Old 11-29-07, 02:29 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fuel Oil Stablizer, Treatment

Now that the new fuel oil is such c**p, what is a good additive I can add to my tank to reduce baterial growth, and to clean up and prevent sludge? I'd prefer something that is available to us mere mortals, say from the nearest big box store. Is a few gallons (jerry can) of Kerosene good for that on a near empty tank?

Also, best time to change the oil filter? A few day's after a big delivery, assuming that might best time since the sludge is stirred up then?

Old 11-29-07, 03:30 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No endorsements, but I saw this a while back:

Fuelright comparisons

Results _may_ be biased, after all, they do market the stuff, but I have heard others say it's good.

I've used Hot Shot and no complaints, but no scientific evidence to support that it does or doesn't do what it says it is supposed to do. Fuelright sure doesn't seem to think it's worth much!

Here's another from the actual manufacturer... names have not been changed to protect the innocent... and caveat emptor ... remember this is the manufacturers website, use you own best judgement!

Full test results

Best time to change the filter ? when it needs it of course! Install a vacuum gauge on the oil line and you will know for sure...

Old 11-29-07, 03:50 PM
R
Question

I'm the guy with the Tiger Loop and vacuum gauge permanently installed, remember

I'll have to check if that is the Fuel Right EP by Westwood being sold by Patriot. That would make getting some easy.

Old 11-29-07, 03:54 PM
NJT
You and me both !

Yes, it is...

Old 11-30-07, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Fuel Right

Yep, Good Stuff. Better than that? Burn kerosene if ya can afford it.

Old 11-30-07, 04:12 PM
NJT
Assuming one could actually persuade a delivery company to fill a fuel oil tank with K1, would the burner need to be re-tuned ? Let's say I dropped 5 gall of K1 into each fill ... benefits ?

Old 11-30-07, 04:16 PM
R
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
Assuming one could actually persuade a delivery company to fill a fuel oil tank with K1, would the burner need to be re-tuned ? Let's say I dropped 5 gall of K1 into each fill ... benefits ?
Trooper,

I believe a lot of trailers with outside tanks use Kero in the winter since it keeps on flowing in subzero weather.

Pete

Old 11-30-07, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Kero

We have customers who burn nothing but kero. You might have to cut back on the air just a tad. Five gallons in a 275 is a waste. It takes about 20% to see a real difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: