Calculating Hot water baseboard requirements

Old 12-03-07, 09:12 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Calculating Hot water baseboard requirements

I have added a large addition to my house and need to add baseboard hot water in the new area. Does any one know of a simple way to calculate just how many feet I should be installing? Also, I'll be tapping in to the existing upper level zone, so is there any way to figure out if the one zone will be adequate, or should I add another zone?

Old 12-03-07, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Might try http://www.slantfin.com
they have it all

Old 12-03-07, 09:28 AM
R
Thanks, it looks like they have the software I need... so I'll try it when I get to the coffee shop where there's wireless highspeed for my download.

Old 12-03-07, 09:31 AM
X
Yes. The simple (and, thankfully, correct) way to figure out how much baseboard you need is to go to

http://www.slantfin.com/heat-loss-software-get.html and download their free heat loss software. Enter in the dimensions of the addition, number of windows, how much insulation, outdoor coldest temperature (aka design temperature) you experience each year, etc. and you will get the heat loss in BTU/hr. The program also gives you the number of feet of baseboard element required for several of their popular baseboard models. Or if you don't buy slantfin baseboard, the BTU/hr numbers can help you size another brand.

As for tapping into an existing zone, it matters how long the existing zone is, how much baseboard there is on it already, what the pipe size is, how long the addition piping will be, and how much baseboard the addition will add to that zone.

There's a bit of slightly advanced reading at http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...irculators.pdf

that provides an introduction to the kinds of calculations you should do to figure things out. Several regulars here have a very good handle on this issue if you need help. That said, most residential systems are overpumped and under the max radiation per zone, so you may be able to just hack in there and go. However, it's usually worth it to scope things out beforehand so you don't have to backtrack or redo piping.

Old 12-03-07, 11:37 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I always like to recommend this one.

Zoning Made Easy

There's tons of good info for designers in there.

Old 12-03-07, 12:22 PM
X
Can't believe I never saw that. Clearly the hand of Holohan in that one. Great read!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: