Differences between automotive and fuel oil filters??

Old 12-05-07, 01:41 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Differences between automotive and fuel oil filters??

I've been wondering if a good automotive oil filter would substitute for a spin on oil filter (like the Garbar)? Same size threads? How many microns are the automotive filters? UL listing a consideration?

Pete

Old 12-05-07, 02:02 PM
Wink

Id say forget it. The filter cartridges for the fuel oil are a lot better . They use a wool felt element or a spun rayon fiber in them .

Old 12-05-07, 02:07 PM
O
Great Idea,,,

and I have thought about that too,,,,but I get distracted and,,,you know,,,now that you mention-it, I`m gonna find out!

Thanks Radioconnection.

Old 12-05-07, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Fuel Filters

I use Wix 33109 or NAPA 3109 filters all the time. They are not compatable with the Garber filter head. Pretty sure they are a 10 micron filter. The actual application is for Cummins diesels. I use a spin-on only for a "polishing" or secondary filter due to cost. For a primary, I like Sid Harvey's 265, the General 2A-700A or Unifilter 99. Do not like any Westwood filter due to too many air leak problems.

Old 12-05-07, 06:29 PM
Who
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ed, did you just get busted on a bad guess for a response?

Old 12-05-07, 06:37 PM
R
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I use Wix 33109 or NAPA 3109 filters all the time. They are not compatable with the Garber filter head. Pretty sure they are a 10 micron filter. The actual application is for Cummins diesels. I use a spin-on only for a "polishing" or secondary filter due to cost. For a primary, I like Sid Harvey's 265, the General 2A-700A or Unifilter 99. Do not like any Westwood filter due to too many air leak problems.

Is the Garber the same type of filter used on the Tiger Loop? All of my filters are spin on types.

Pete

Old 12-05-07, 07:07 PM
A
I prefer the Garber over any other filter. The Garber does a much better job filtering the oil than any fiber filter I've seen. The extra cost is worth not having a breakdown half way through the year.

Old 12-05-07, 07:12 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I use Wix 33109 or NAPA 3109 filters all the time. They are not compatable with the Garber filter head. .
Grady, did you mean they ARE compatible ? or am I reading something wrong ? If they are compatible, I assume they will fit the Suntec heads with the built-in OSV also ?

Old 12-05-07, 07:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wix, NAPA, & Garber

The Wix & NAPA filters are NOT compatable with the Garber head. The Garber uses an O-ring where the others use a thicker rubber washer. If you try to use the washer, there's a strong possibility of a leak. I don't believe the Garber's O-ring will seal the center (inlet?) completely from the outer holes (outlet?) of the Wix & NAPA filters.

I have not yet run into the OSV/Filter combo, so I can't speak about them. The heads on which I use the Wix & NAPA filters originally were sold by Wix & Energy Kinetics.

Old 12-05-07, 08:19 PM
NJT
OK good... The Suntec uses the O-ring also, a big fat one. But the filter itself appears to be the same as the others I've seen. The O-ring slips over the nipple on the filter head before the can is screwed on.

So it seems that the Suntec and Garber are probably interchangeable. Haven't used the Garber yet though. I'm currently using a Westwood (no air leaks!) on the Suntec head, because it was free... and when I installed it, it did contact the O-ring the same way as the Suntec filter did, so I'm pretty sure that seals up fine.

I'm running the smaller General (25) ahead of the Suntec.

So you are saying that the reason the aren't compatible is because of the O-ring, and not the threads, right ?

Old 12-05-07, 08:29 PM
NJT
RadioConnection

Radio-meister, are you using the tiger loop with the filter ? I thought yours was the little R2/D2 like mine ?

Old 12-05-07, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
O-ring/Threads

The O-ring is the biggest problem but I have seen some old Garbers with a different thread. These were probalbly 20+ years old.

Old 12-06-07, 03:00 AM
R
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Radio-meister, are you using the tiger loop with the filter ? I thought yours was the little R2/D2 like mine ?

Mine has the filter below it. Integral unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: