No heat - I am guessing its a circulator problem

Old 12-08-07, 07:43 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No heat - I am guessing its a circulator problem

No heat this morning. I have a Burnham Revolution gas boiler, single zone. So I raised thermostat and the boiler fired. Water temp reached 180 degrees, psi 15 but no heat hot water to the baseboards. Boiler shut-off I guess because water temp reached 180. After a period of time the water temp dropped in the boiler and it fired again, reached 180 and shut-off and again, still cold baseboards. Could the Taco cartridge circulator be the problem? When I put my hand on the circulator it wasn't hot. I hate to call a serviceman in on time and a half today. Any ideas what the problem could be? BTW this is a great site. I am a novice but reading threads here has helped explain how systems work. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-07, 08:58 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Len,

It could be the circulator... keep in mind that the revolution also has an internal circulator, so that one could be not pumping either. There is a speed controller on the internal circulator that might have bought it... could be a wiring problem too, or a sticky/dirty relay in your aquastat as well.

Several possibilities ... but it does sound like it's not a pressure problem.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it ?

Are you comfortable working with electrical circuits ?

Old 12-09-07, 12:39 PM
X
Len, you still around? Revolution owner here.

When you say the circulator isn't hot, do you mean the one inside the boiler cabinet, or the one that (should) be outside the boiler that circulates water to your baseboards.

The aquastat on the Revolution should be set for 210F (not 180). **** NOTE to everyone else reading this: the Revolution is a different boiler with special internal piping and computer controls. Most every "normal" boiler is 180F ****

It is possible the internal circulator is seized or shot. When the boiler is running, there should be a pair of green lights on the upper left inside the cabinet. One should be constant on, the other flashing periodically.

The internal circulator is a stock Taco 007. If you are comfortable shutting off the electricity to the boiler, draining it down to zero, and replacing the circulator, this can be a DIY repair. FIRST, however, you need to see if the vs3000 control (the green lights) is working.

Old 12-11-07, 04:41 AM
L
Thanks for the response. I wasn't comfortable tackling this, so I called in service. Turned out to be the relay in the aquastat. He replaced the aquastat and everything is working. Haven't gotten the bill yet. What's an aquastat cost?

And he turned up the temp to 210.