Condensing Boilers

Old 12-09-07, 03:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensing Boilers

Can anyone give me some pros and cons oil fired condensing boilers, I live on Long Island and don't hear much about these. Thanks. Also what is a good brand?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-07, 07:24 AM
Who
I've only ever heard of 2 brands.

Peerless Pinnacle Oil - Made by Hovel of Europe with a Beckett burner

Monitor FCX - Sold by MZ Boilers (also a European import)

I think both units require low sulphur fuel which should be more and more readily available.

The FCX has been available in N.A. for several years, while the Peerless is newer.

The Peerless is a pretty impressive looking unit but I've never seen or heard of any installations yet. There's a pro in Maine that has an FCX in a super insulated house and claims he uses only 300 gallons of oil a year for heating and domestic water.

Old 12-09-07, 05:53 PM
M
I'd be interested too. I did some searches on this subject recently and it didn't seem like these type of boilers were very popular here.

Old 12-09-07, 09:26 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't know that it's because they aren't 'popular' Mike, I think it's just that the technology is so new here on this side of the pond. I've looked at the pinnacle myself... but I'm leery of trying it until there's like 10 or 20 thousand of 'em installed for like 5 years ...

Old 12-10-07, 05:02 AM
M
Yea maybe popular isn't the right word. In my area here in south eastern CT I had no luck finding a decent tech to service my 'old school' boiler much less something like the Peerless. After the 3rd try I finally did some reading up on oil burner/boiler servicing and bought a Fyrite Pro 125 combustion analyzer, a smoke tester and a few bioler cleanout brushes.
I got tired of "oh we can set these old burners up by eye" even when I specifically requested they bring a test instrument and smoke tester....

Old 12-10-07, 09:32 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I still remember the condensing oil furnaces which drove two companies out of business. I am sure there is improvements but it is still a memory and not a pleasant one.