possible leak

Old 12-15-07, 02:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
possible leak

Hi- I need some advice on a possible leak on my boiler
(Weil McClane 68). The water feeding the boiler doesn't go through a PRV like I've seen in other set-ups. It comes from my water softener, which is fed from my well pressure tank.
Goes through the ball valve with the red handle seen in the pics, and then into the fitting that my expansion tank hangs from. My concern is the corrosion you can see on the back of the fitting - it looks like a hex head part screws in and uses a gasket to seal? Everything on the boiler works fine- pressures, temps, burner, etc. I'm just worried about a possible problem developing, and how I should deal with it.
As always, thanks for your advice and have a Merry Christmas!

Steve

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_0005.jpg
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_0002.jpg
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_0001.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-07, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Corrosion

The device into which the water feeds is called a Fill-Trol. It is a pressure reducing valve which works off of the pressure in the tank. I much prefer a separate reducing valve but the Fill-Trols do work. Since winter is upon us, I suggest leaving things alone until spring.

Old 12-15-07, 08:02 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I believe yer restricted to using their special tanks too... do supply houses carry them Grady ? I bet they're lots more bucks than a standard tank...

And to adjust system pressure with one of those, you adjust the air pressure in the tank ?

Old 12-16-07, 06:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fill-Trol

Trooper, yes they do need a special tank which comes with the valve assembly & they are about 50-75% more than a regular tank. Most supply houses do carry them. Not sure about home centers.
You are also right about adjusting the fill pressure by adjusting the tank pressure.

Old 12-16-07, 06:41 AM
S
leak?

Grady- what am I facing in the spring? Is there a gasket or o ring that can be replaced? As far as I can tell, this system is about 15 years old. Should I just install a regular PRV and do away with the fill-trol? As always, I'm grateful for the advice.

Steve

Old 12-16-07, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gasket

About the only way to replace the gasket is to make one. You can't buy just a replacement gasket. Getting that plug out to replace the gasket is often next to impossible anyway.
Judging from the proximity of the shut off valve to the Fill-Trol, it would be cheaper & much easier to simply cut the copper pipe, install a new Fill-Trol & a union. If you don't mind the extra work & slightly greater cost, I prefer separate components.

Old 12-16-07, 07:17 AM
S
leak

Thanks for the info. Once we're into some warmer weather, I'll tackle the gasket, and if I can't get it apart, I'll go with separate components. Thanks again!

Steve