Moisture at windows?

Old 12-15-07, 06:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moisture at windows?

How normal is it to have some moisture around windows with a hot water heating system? 1300 square foot ranch in Buffalo, NY. 2 year old Williamson Boiler, good, not great insulation in house. Walls have 13R, attic space only has 19R, but I have snow on roof, no icicles, ridge vent, 3 year old roof system. Windows are 6 year old Anderson awning style, double pane. Must keep window trim at glass clean or mold will grow. Any ideas?

Old 12-15-07, 06:18 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
What is the relative humidity inside the house? The you use an exhaust fan when showering? Is there any sources of excess moisture in the house?

Poor combustion and carbon monoxide can also be contributing factors. Do you use a ventless fireplace log or a gas stove?

Old 12-15-07, 06:28 PM
I do not know the relative humidity in my home. Yes, we do use an exhaust fan while showering. No fireplace or gas stove. I don't believe there is any other source of excess moisture in the house.

Old 12-15-07, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There's lots of posts on this topic in the windows and doors forum, it's a popular question in the winter months.

Baseboard / boiler heat is usually one of the types of heat that produces the lowest humidity levels in homes without basements. The main problem, I have found, is that there is also poor circulation in these types of homes. As a result, there is very little air movement which leads to the windows becoming quite cold- colder than in a home with forced air, and vents directly below each window.

Your condensation has more to do with the glass + the humidity in the home + the temperature outside, and less to do with the type of heat you have.

Your solution would be to keep drapes / curtains and blinds open, run ceiling fans, and circulate the air around. Even a couple box fans set on low, aimed toward the windows, would help tremendously. Running bath fans for long periods of time after showers (not just during) and so on will lower humidity. Making sure your dryer vent is completely connected and free of obstructions can also help, because dryers can potentially put a lot of moisture in the air. Making sure the windows are locked, and that weatherstrips are clean and free of debris may help them seal better.

And above all, to protect the wood, be sure it has an adequate finish on it that will resist moisture. Most often I see windows with little to no finish on them, and these windows will quickly grow mold and begin to decay because the water can soak into the wood. Several coats of lacquer, varnish, polyurethane or whatever you choose will help the windows resist mold and last longer- despite any moisture that gets on them, plus it will wipe off and dry much more quickly.

One idea you could try- since you mentioned they are awning windows (with an interior screen) is remove the screens during the winter months and put them in a closet. The screen itself can block airflow and heat, and removing them will help "a little". Maybe not enough to make a big difference.

Old 12-15-07, 06:55 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Moisture on windows in the winter is always a sine of poor ventilation. Open a window an inch are two for a couple of hours with a bath fan on to pull in outside air. If the RH is real high might take longer.

Old 12-15-07, 07:07 PM
Thanks XSleeper, that all makes alot of sense. A couple of things to add. I do have a basement(not heated), majority of my windows are vinyl clad, so the moisture/mold cleans up easily. I agree that it is probably just the cold glass and nothing else. You are correct about no air circulation during the winter months. I have ceiling fans in every room of the house, which are used constantly during the summer, but I have never switched them over and used them in the winter, but it makes sense to use them occasionally.

Old 12-15-07, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Most ceiling fans also have a switch on them that reverses the rotation of the blades. In the summer, most people like to feel the air blowing down on them. But reversing the switch will blow the air up toward the ceiling, circulating the warm air that naturally rises. You might feel more comfortable and reduce your condensation problem if you could reverse that switch and leave those ceiling fans on low. Worth a shot.

Old 12-15-07, 07:31 PM
Yes, I am aware of the switch, but never used it before. I am definitely going to try this. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: