Draining Boiler System

Old 12-18-07, 12:26 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Draining Boiler System

I currently have a 3 story home, that is heated by a slant fin boiler system that is 3 years old. In my bathroom on the second floor, i have a hot water pipe, not a rad, that is the main heat source. Problem is, it has never worked. I have installed an electric heater for heat. I would like to remove the pipe and cap it off. Do I need to drain the system ? Could I just shut the system down, cut the pipe and cap ? I hope its as easy as cut and cap. Any advise would be appreciated.

jjw

Old 12-18-07, 04:05 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
When you say it 'has never worked' ... what you mean is that it hasn't worked to heat the room, correct ? But is the pipe HOT ?

You said it's a hot water pipe, but you don't mean a DOMESTIC hot water pipe, right ? You mean that it's a pipe connected to the boiler water system I think...

Chances are that the answer is NO, it's not going to be just cut and cap. It MAY be, but chances are not...

Old 12-19-07, 10:27 PM
It's kind of difficult to figure out whether you have a hot water system or a steam system. The pipe you are talking about is it vertical, about 2 inches in diameter and usually located in the corner, does it have a steam bleeder on it somewhere near the top? Or, is it a hot water system and that pipe continues to other baseboards or radiators? In the dark at this time, need info. Thanks, Charlie

Old 12-20-07, 07:25 AM
J
Draining Boiler More Info

Originally Posted by boilersrus
It's kind of difficult to figure out whether you have a hot water system or a steam system. The pipe you are talking about is it vertical, about 2 inches in diameter and usually located in the corner, does it have a steam bleeder on it somewhere near the top? Or, is it a hot water system and that pipe continues to other baseboards or radiators? In the dark at this time, need info. Thanks, Charlie
Charlie:

Thanks for the reply. The system is hot water. The pipe is horizontal, is about 4 feet long and is 1 inch in diameter. There are two pipes, with a C coupling at the end that cycles water back to the other rads. Hope this provides a little more info.

jjw

Old 12-20-07, 03:03 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Can you post a picture ?

check out www.photobucket.com (free) and put yer pics up there and provide us with a link to them... easier to show than describe !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: