Leakage after pressure let out of pressure release valve

Old 12-18-07, 05:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leakage after pressure let out of pressure release valve

We have a 1 1/2 storey home. I recently noticed the psi was at 50, when the boiler was running.

I know very little about boilers, but was told this was too high. I thought perhaps bleeding would help relieve the pressure, so opened the pressure valve (the bell shaped thing) leading out of the top front end of the boiler, and to a pipe leading to the ground and a drain, which I assumed was specifically for bleeding.

It worked, and lowered our psi, however now the drain continuously drips. A steady stream flows out when the boiler is on and heating, to the point where we fill a small garbage can 2-3 times a day.

Im wondering if I somehow ruined the seal on the pressure release valve? Its an old boiler. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 07:03 PM
If your gauge is working correctly, and you were at 50 PSI, you were probably at the factory test pressure for the boiler vessel! There is something very, very wrong if you indeed reach 50 PSI!!

What is your boiler pressure reading now? The valve is supposed to release pressure at 30 PSI. It may be doing it's job, or the seal may be bad and the valve may need to be replaced. This might be a good time to call in a professional, you may have multiple problems: bad tridicator, bad pressure relief valve... The water temperature at the valve is also at the highest point in the system, and it can scald you.

Pete

Old 12-19-07, 03:07 PM
J
I've been watching it periodically over the last few days. The resting pressure tends to be right around 20 psi and the pressure while it's running is around 35 psi. I've tried lowering the pressure once before and it just got itself right back up to those numbers.

It may be the case that the pressure release valve is doing its job now and is simply relieving the pressure from the system whenever it goes over 30, but it didn't ever produce water before we tripped the release ourselves. Any other thoughts?

Old 12-19-07, 05:06 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It's possible that the relief valve hadn't been open in so long that it was stuck shut... and when it was opened, the rubber sealing washer cracked and now it's leaking...

Replace the pressure relief valve.

While your are at it, check the expansion tank, this may be the reason the pressure went so high in the first place.

Old 12-20-07, 05:57 AM
C
It has now, suddenly stopped leaking, but presented itself with a new problem -- The motor appears to have stopped working.

Every 2 minutes or so, it buzzes loudly for about 3 seconds, as though its about to kick in, but then doesnt. In fact, the motor hasnt turned on in about 12 hours. The water is still heating, however, and the house is still getting hot.

The PSI is still going over 30 when the boiler is heating, however it no longer releases water as it did.

Any other thoughts?

Old 12-20-07, 02:52 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
You need to get that fixed, time to dial that telephone !