Is this a boiler prv or a water feed prv???

Old 12-23-07, 10:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a boiler prv or a water feed prv???

Hello, I have been using this forum to learn about my parents hot water heating system. I have learned enough to know it has multiple problems, but right now all I would like to know is ... Is this a boiler prv (safety valve) or a water feed prv?

prv attached to boiler & pressure/temp gauge:

Close-up view of prv label:

Even when gauge reads well above 30psi, not a drop comes from the prv - one of my Dad's "repairs."

From what I've learned, I'm pretty sure it is for the water feed, but please let me know because I will be at their place for xmas and can talk to them then.

Thanks for any and all help, ... I'll be posting questions later about correcting the serious pressure problem and ...

Old 12-24-07, 06:02 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
First, let's clear up the acronym confusion.

Since two devices seem to have the same acronym (PRV), let's just always spell out what we mean...

Pressure Reducing Valve - drops domestic water pressure to the pressure required in the boiler system (usually 12-15 PSI for a 1-2 story home)

Pressure RELIEF VALVE - provides a safety relief of over pressure (which that boiler appears to have IF the gauge is correct)

The device in your picture is a RELIEF VALVE and should be blowing water if the gauge is correct, and nobody has 'adjusted' it incorrectly.

The pressure reducing valve looks very similar to that relief valve, but it will be in line between the boiler water system and the domestic water system.

Please get that fixed soon! The piping coming off the bottom should not go through those elbows, etc, it should be a straight pipe to within 6" of the floor, with no threads on the bottom. I don't think that's the correct valve for that application either.

We'd be happy to help you get that system fixed up... you said multiple problems... what else besides the pressure problem ?

Post some more pics showing the rest of the system...

Last edited by NJT; 12-24-07 at 07:21 AM. Reason: changed to bold font
Old 12-24-07, 06:36 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
NJ is partially correct. The pictured valve is a pressure relief valve but it is NOT a substitute for the ASME rated safety valve that needs to be attached directly to the boiler.

The pictured valve is for relieving the excess pressure if the make-up water PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) fails in an open position.

I also would like to see many more pictures.

Old 12-24-07, 07:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
Seeing as the label states it is set to 30# is a dead givaway it is not working. Far right part of the label.

Old 12-24-07, 10:57 AM
M
I know I am new to all this, and pretty much everything I know came from this forum, but I think furd got the question I was asking - and sorry Trooper, in the future I will spell everything out. Anyway ... what I believe my Dad did is he bought this combination valve:

http://www.accentshopping.com/produc...ll/P_ID/148645

from a local supply shop. In my Dad's defense, all he did was remove the existing part, that some service tech had installed at some time in the past, and then took that part in and asked for a replacement. Of course he did have to remove the Pressure Reducing Valve before installing (it would not fit with it attached!) but the sales guy told him that the combination valve was the only way he could buy the part he was asking for.

To my Dad, the problem was that the old Pressure Relief Valve was leaking - not that the pressure is running way too high. My fear is that he did figure out how to adjust the new valve to stop the leaking. To him, problem solved!

From what I have been able to gather from talking to my Mom and younger brother, who was in the house longer than I was, this pressure problem has been going on (hopefully off and on) for about 25 years! So, I'm thinking that my Dad sees it has "normal" - and since he is well into his 80's - it's going to take some work on my part to convince him that there is a problem.

I do know you guys need good photos and good info to provide good answers. I can provide that and will. My Mom doesn't even want me to bring any of this up around the Holidays because she's afraid my Dad is going to throw a fit. So, hopefully soon, I should have everything together so that you all, can help me, help them.

Thank you all and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-07, 11:16 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I know what you are going through... been there.

Hopefully you'll see this through to a happy outcome.

I see now what you are asking! It's those pesky acronyms

Since you've read a lot of the posts, you must already know that we are going to talk about the expansion tank soon, right ?

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-07, 02:40 PM
M
Yes, Trooper, I do suspect the expansion tank, but in this particular case, what I expect to find is that the Pressure Reducing/Auto-fill valve has failed or is out of adjustment.

This is just a teaser, because I will post a much more detailed description of the situation later, in a new thread with an appropriate title, but ...

I have already "bumped" the valve on the expansion tank - got air, no water, so the bladder is still good. Although my tire gauge works fine on my tires, I couldn't get a good seal on the tank valve, so I couldn't get a good reading, but I suspect it may need to be charged (could only get 8psi with two try's and system pressure around 30psi) - this I plan to check/do when I can shut the system down - there is no isolation valve for the expansion tank.

I won't go into it now, but I think I have good reason to suspect the Pressure Reducing/Auto-fill valve is at least part of the pressure problem.

I have considered that the gauge may not be accurate and from what I've read here they are not too expensive (about $20?) so I am open to just replacing it - if only to eliminate one unknown variable. I have tried to measure the temp of the water to check the accuracy of the water temp gauge on the boiler - results uncertain. According to the gauge, the burners kick on at 170-degrees and off at 190-195-degrees and the temp peaks at 200-205-degrees. As far as I can tell, the temp is set at 180-degrees ... more on this in that upcoming new thread.

On my last visit to their place I took pictures and was able to determined that at least one zone valve is not working properly or maybe not at all - the zone had only slight heating at the first baseboard, but after I manually opened the valve, all baseboards in the zone got hot. Since then, although I returned the switch to it's original position, according to my mom, it sounds like they are all staying hot. So, I think the valve went from stuck closed to stuck open. I have only started to research zone valves, so I will definitely need help sorting out if it is a thermostat, wiring, switching, motor or valve problem - again more on this in that upcoming new thread.

Also, the circulating pump seems to run all the time. Fixing the zone valve problem may resolve this, or it may be a separate issue.

The only good thing is that my dad should have a good Pressure Reducing/Auto-fill valve just lying around after his last "repair."

My priorities are ... get the pressure under control, get the right Pressure Relief/Safety valve installed, get the zone valves working and then, if needed, deal with the pump. All this and maybe more coming soon in a new thread!

Nothing but fun for the New Year!

Thanks again, I will continue to check this post, but I plan to start a new thread to address all the wonderful problem solving opportunities this system has to offer ... and yes Trooper, a pleasantly warm and happy outcome is the goal!

Old 12-24-07, 03:49 PM
M
Add more pictures

When you do start another thread please add pictures(photobucket.com)of the entire system. Pictures explain a whole lot more

BOB

Old 04-01-08, 09:50 AM
M
New thread is finally up

Back in December, I didn't think it would take this long - but on the other hand, just a couple weeks ago, I didn't think I would be dealing with this until summer ...

Anyway ...

To view the new post on this system go to:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...24#post1341224

Check out all the photos/info on the virtual System Tour! I didn't use photobucket but BOB should be happy!

- Have some fun ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: