4 Zone Oil Burner, 1 zone, no heat

Old 01-03-08, 01:45 PM
4 Zone Oil Burner, 1 zone, no heat

Hey all, new to this place, what a great source of info!

I have a 4 zone oil/hotwater heating system. My playroom in the basement, where the furnace is, is not getting heat. I thought maybe thermostat was prob, changed it, no good still. It is getting power though. I can leave it on 90 and the pipes in the room wont get hot. The zone pipe coming from furnace is HOT. The hot water does not seem to be getting to the baseboards about 5 feet away though

I know nothing about this stuff, sorry if I am not explaining this correctly. Other zones work perfectly btw. Is there some sort of valve that isnt opening to let that water through? Anything I can do to check/fix this?

Thanks in advance if ya have any idea of what my problem is

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-08, 03:47 PM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
You have one circulator pump , and electric ZONE VALVES ? If so, it does sound like the zone valve for that zone isn't opening.

Look for valves in the pipes with control boxes on them, and wires attached... or:

take some pictures and post them on www.photobucket.com (free) and post a link here so we can view the pics...

Old 01-03-08, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
You have one circulator pump , and electric ZONE VALVES ? If so, it does sound like the zone valve for that zone isn't opening.

Look for valves in the pipes with control boxes on them, and wires attached... or:

take some pictures and post them on www.photobucket.com (free) and post a link here so we can view the pics...
Oh boy, I have no idea what a circulator pump is...I was referring to the thermostat wires having power...the red and white wires comin out of the wall...Didn't mean to say my zone valves were electric, I have no idea Sorry I don't know too much bout this stuff yet, but I am gonna start learning for sure

Thank you for the response friend, posted pics here, let me know if I need to take pics of other things.

I left them pretty big size, so you can see detail maybe...sorry bout the size

Link to pics

Last edited by NJT; 01-04-08 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fixed picture URL at poster request
Old 01-03-08, 06:59 PM
NJT
OK, I can see that you do have 'zone valves'. Those are the gold colored things with the slots on them. I suspect that there is a problem with one of them, probably not opening.

On the side of those valve that isn't shown in the picture, there is a terminal strip. To the side of the terminal strip is a lever. You can manually open the valves by pushing this lever down. If you can identify the valve that is in the pipe for the basement zone, try manually opening that valve. The boiler may fire when you do, and you may hear one of the circulator pumps turn on (although they are quite quiet, so maybe not!) You should feel heat in that zone now. If so, then for various reasons, that valve isn't opening when the thermostat in that zone is calling for heat. Return the lever to the 'AUTO' position when finished.

If you determine that the heat works in that zone when you manually open the valve, you can try replacing the power head. VERY easy to do ! We'll walk you through it if you want to try.

The circulator pumps are the green and black things in the first picture, with motors on them. They pump the water through the system. I'm not sure why there are two circulating pumps though. Is there a domestic hot water tank connected to one of them ? Perhaps your system has one circulator for 2 zones each ? Hard to tell without personal inspection of the system.

Can you pull back with the camera and show a shot of the whole system, for reference purposes ?

Old 01-03-08, 07:18 PM
NJT
In case you want to try...

How to change Taco power head

Old 01-04-08, 03:41 PM
NJT
Before you change the powerhead

If you have a voltmeter, turn the thermostat for the zone up to where it's calling for heat, and measure the voltage on terminals 1 & 2 of the zone valve. You should see 24VAC +/- a couple volts on those terminals. If you do NOT, then you need to check for wiring problems... maybe a broken or loose connection someplace.

Old 01-04-08, 04:34 PM
NJ I cannot thank you enough for your time...a lot of it spent in PMs too

Will check that wiring tomorrow for sure...thank you again for taking your own time to think about my problems friend! Will update you on my successes or failures

manzo08

Old 02-02-08, 01:38 PM
Smile Honeywell Sparco Powertrack Mororized Zone Valves Model MZV525E

I have a three zone radiant heating setup using Sparco Zone valves. When I bought this place, the heating was working for all zones. Recently I have had no heat in one of the zones so, I checked the system and found that the Sparco Powertrack valve for this zone was not working. The literature I downloaded for this valve instructed me to turn the brass nut until the arrow pointer was over the gold dot. I have been unable to get this outcome. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Old 02-02-08, 02:27 PM
NJT
Originally Posted by zootzot View Post
Can anyone help me with this problem?
Zoot, do you have the URL for the valve info that you downloaded handy ? save us some time looking for it...