Crack in Oil Boiler - Do I need to replace?

Old 01-06-08, 10:11 AM
Crack in Oil Boiler - Do I need to replace?

Hello. I just bought a house last summer that is only 7 years old. The home inspector noted that the oil burner had a crack in the back of it (inside), but that it was not a big deal. There is noticeable soot in the basement that the previous owners tried to clean up, but there was an obvious mess at some point. We had our oil company out to service it, and they said that we need to replace the entire burner before next season. Has anyone had similar issues, or can you give some guidance about if I need a new boiler or not? It is only 7.5 years old, and I am told the life expectancy is ~15 years.

The Boiler is a Low Pressure Burnham RFA110TH-TB built in 6/2000. The pressure is just over 50 right now - there is a little red arrow pointing at 40 - is this where it should be? The temp was 170 at some point yesterday, 205 earlier this morning, and about 190 right now. Let me know if you need more info, or can help in any way.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-08, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Model # ?

Are you sure about the model #? I can find an RSA but no RFA.

Usually the only reason to condemn a boiler is if it is leaking. If it is a problem with the burner, parts are readily available for Beckett, Carlin, Wayne, & Riello burners. If the fiber combustion chamber is cracked, it may or may not be a big deal. Surface cracks are perfectly normal & cause no harm at all. If the crack goes deep into the chamber, chambers are usually fairly easy to replace.

I suggest you get a second opinion.

Old 01-06-08, 02:09 PM
That would be an RSA. Is the jacket discolored? If not have the chamber checked by an experienced tech. If you can see light shut it down.
The chamber is replaceable but might be difficult. The older boilers had to be raised to get to the chamber. the newer ones have a front access.

Old 01-06-08, 05:47 PM
Rsa

Yeah, you are correct - it is an RSA, and yes, I plan to get a second opinion - would you recommend from another oil company or someone else?
It just seems like a 7 year old boiler should not be going.

Old 01-07-08, 06:04 AM
What type od radiation do you have? Is it cast iron? Maybe have the Burnham rep take a look at it. That would have to be set up by the contractor.

Old 01-08-08, 01:15 PM
cracked boiler

do you have a auto water feed on it.
last owner might have starved it for water.or won ever put it in might have droped it .
we just replaced one that another oil co droped
and did not tell anyone .

Old 01-08-08, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Update?

HomeOwner1sTime,
I suggest you talk to friends, neighbors, relatives, co-workers, etc., & ask them who they have work on their oil fired boilers. Word of mouth is the best or worst, as the case may be, advertising a servicer can get.
Rbeck asked if there was any discoloration of the boiler jacket. If you aren't sure what he meant or where the discoloration would be important, take some pictures of the boiler (from all sides if possible). Pictures can be posted for free at www.photobucket.com or similar site & a link to them posted here. If a second servicer agrees the chamber needs to be replaced, the pictures may help us be able to tell you if it is an easy or difficult job.

Old 01-09-08, 05:18 PM
The Boiler is a Low Pressure Burnham RFA110TH-TB built in 6/2000. The pressure is just over 50 right now - there is a little red arrow pointing at 40 - is this where it should be? The temp was 170 at some point yesterday.

The pressure seems very high. Normal operating pressure varies from 12-25 psi. The pressure relief valve will open at 30 psi. You may have a defective gauge, but you should have it checked. Water temp varies, but 190 is really hot enough. Have your unit checked