No heat on 2nd zone on new installation?

Old 12-29-07, 11:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question No heat on 2nd zone on new installation?

Hello everyone. I am a new user and I have been searching this site for days finding that a lot of people have the same problem I have but atleast there system worked at one time and something just broke.

I didn't have any problems with my zones until I just had a new Beckett Emerald series Boiler model : Em-85 installed. My 40+ year old boiler bit the dust and now my second zone does't turn on my boiler when the thermostat calls for heat. The circulator turns on and just keeps pushing cold water through the baseboard constantly until the first zones thermostat calls for heat and turns on the burner. I have two zones and they each have their own circulators. The first zone connects to a Honeywell L7248C1006 Aquastat and the second zone has the thermostat and circulator hooked up to a Honeywell RA832A relay but it is not connected to the Aquastat at all which is where I think (or hope) the problem is. All the documentation that I found talks about a Honeywell L7224A Aquastat which supports multizone so I think the guy who hooked it up ordered the wrong equipment and didn't want to admit his mistake. I have of course had no luck getting him back here to look at it. I am an electronics tech so I know I can hook it up myself if its possible with the equipment I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Old 12-29-07, 04:28 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Honeywell came out with the 7224 somewhat recently, and that seems to have replaced the 7248 (among others).

It has all the same features as the '48, and then some.

7224/7248 install PDF

Basically, you need to wire as per figure 9 in this PDF.

Be aware that there is a difference between the 832 and the 845 relay, in that there is an INTERNAL connection to the 120VAC hot on the 832 relay, whereas there is no such connection on the 845 .

I don't know if you can use the 832 in place of the 845 for that reason. The ZC terminal supplies 120VAC hot to the relay coil in the add-on relay, but if you use the 832 you would be pulling the current for the circ through the ZC terminal, and I don't know if that terminal can support that load.

You MAY be able to run a single wire from either terminal 3 or 4 (whichever one isn't used for the circulator wiring) on the 832 relay over to the ZR terminal on the 7248 and have it work, but be advised that if the relay and the aquastat do not share the same source of power (same circuit) someone could get hurt thinking they've turned off the power and they haven't !

I think your best option would be to have the installer get his butt over there and install and wire the proper relay ...

If you don't have all the schematics for the relay and aquastat, go to :

customer.honeywell.com

and enter your model #s in the search box. Scroll to the bottom and download the install sheets.

Old 12-29-07, 05:18 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
If you just had a new boiler installed and the zone isn't heating then the first thing should probably be to call the installer back. Everything should have been working properly before they wrapped up. They shouldn't mind getting this sorted out...

Old 12-29-07, 08:52 PM
T
Thanks for the replies. I have been trying to get the guy back here but he has been blowing me off. That's what happens when you get a recomendation from someone. In any case I have all the schematics for the relay & the 7248 but what threw me off is that the 7248 doesn't have terminals soldered in on ZR or ZC which led me to believe it was designed for a single zone system. The whole system is being supplied by the same power source and it has a few safety shutoff switches. Is there somewhere else on the 7248 that I can run the unused #4 terminal from my relay too? I could solder my own terminal into ZR as long as I know it won't break it .

I think the main reason the guy doesn't care to come back is because I am getting heat on both zones, its just that the second zone won't get heat when it calls for it unless the first zone is also calling for it. The problem lies in that it is always warmer in my downstairs so it could be hours before that thermostat calls for heat and in the meantime it gets cold fast in my upstairs (2nd zone).

Thanks again for any info. Worse case I will get that guy out here but I would feel obligated to tip the guy so I rather just fix it myself.

Old 12-30-07, 07:52 AM
NJT
Ohhh, I didn't realize you didn't have the terminals in your a'stat ! That's not good...

Even if you add the hardware (i.e. solder in terminals), the firmware may not support the function.

Sounds more like the a'stat may need to be changed.

There is another option though... you can remove the circ from the a'stat and add another 832 to run that, and use the X X terminals on the two relays in parallel to run the a'stat.

OR, junk the 832 and purchase a Taco switching relay (i.e. SR 503) which would integrate all the wiring into one panel. (the 503 has three circuits, so you have a 'spare') This would be my recommendation.

TIP THE GUY ? What, for doing a bad job ?

Old 12-30-07, 05:51 PM
T
Thanks for all the advice. I want it done right and I'm sure I can't even buy another old 832 relay like this so I will get that guy out here now that I have enough info from everyone on this board plus my own research. I thought I could just add a wire or two but now I see that he tried to save money by not using the right hardware. Now I can atleast know what I'm talking about when I call him back (and leave him another message) that is. I will update this post since it might come in handy for someone else in the same situation as me .

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
Ohhh, I didn't realize you didn't have the terminals in your a'stat ! That's not good...

Even if you add the hardware (i.e. solder in terminals), the firmware may not support the function.

Sounds more like the a'stat may need to be changed.

There is another option though... you can remove the circ from the a'stat and add another 832 to run that, and use the X X terminals on the two relays in parallel to run the a'stat.

OR, junk the 832 and purchase a Taco switching relay (i.e. SR 503) which would integrate all the wiring into one panel. (the 503 has three circuits, so you have a 'spare') This would be my recommendation.

TIP THE GUY ? What, for doing a bad job ?

Last edited by Topgun_68; 12-30-07 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-31-07, 03:00 PM
NJT
I dunno Top, you say you want it done right, and you're gonna call the same guy back ? You sure he _can_ do it right ? I think you have a better chance than he does !

Pick up that Taco SR-503 panel and install it. It's easy, and you being an ET can surely handle it. Mount the panel, hook up 120 VAC, wire the two t'stats to the proper terminals, run two wires from the 'endswitch' on the panel to the existing t'stat connections on the a'stat, run wires to the two circs, and yer done. (you could use an SR-502 if you wanted to save a few bucks and didn't want a 'spare' channel)

Old 12-31-07, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Ra832a

Does the existing RA832A have a pair of terminals (usually top right) labeled X & X?

Old 12-31-07, 05:37 PM
NJT
Grady, I think I know what yer thinking, and if I do, lemmee axe ya this: How would he prevent the circ that's wired to the a'stat from running when the 2nd zone called for heat given the absence of a ZR terminal on the a'stat ?

I betcha there are no flo-cheks installed... how much ?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 12-31-07, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wink If you only knew

Nope, you guess wrong. I'm gonna install an 845 for one zone & use the 832 for the other. Take all circulators off of the aquastat.

"I betcha there are no flo-cheks installed... how much ?"

I migtha been born at night but not last night.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Old 12-31-07, 06:31 PM
NJT
OK, good... I was afraid I missed somethin' when I was thinkin' ! Your idea is sorta like one of mine in #5 above ? except you wanna use an 845 instead of another 832 ...

The R8845U universal replacement is about $20 bucks cheaper than the 845 . And the SR502 is only about $20 more. I guess it depends on how much of Tops money we wanna spend, eh ?

p.s. them younguns drivin' you crazy yet ? don't answer.

Old 12-31-07, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator

I keep forgetting about the 8845U. None of my local supply houses stock them yet.
SR501 is $1.17 less expensive than the R8845U.

Old 01-21-08, 06:28 AM
T
Thumbs up Thanks everyone!

I actually called the guy and explained to him everything that I read on this post. He told me that he would look into it ang get back to me which a week passed and I never heard from him. He then said I was right that the Aquastat needed to be replaced and he would call me back. Two weeks have passed with no call so I bought the Taco SR-503 for $100 and installed it in an hour and it works perfectly.Mounting it took the longest time to drill the holes . Having the extra zone and pop out relay is nice in case I need to add another zone or troubleshoot a relay problem some day. I wish I did this months ago because I would've saved $$$ on oil & the electric bill because that circulator never stopped running when the room wasn't getting hot. Thanks for everyone's help!!

George (topgun)

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
I dunno Top, you say you want it done right, and you're gonna call the same guy back ? You sure he _can_ do it right ? I think you have a better chance than he does !

Pick up that Taco SR-503 panel and install it. It's easy, and you being an ET can surely handle it. Mount the panel, hook up 120 VAC, wire the two t'stats to the proper terminals, run two wires from the 'endswitch' on the panel to the existing t'stat connections on the a'stat, run wires to the two circs, and yer done. (you could use an SR-502 if you wanted to save a few bucks and didn't want a 'spare' channel)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: