Ideal Classic boiler staying on

Old 01-24-08, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideal Classic boiler staying on

I have an Ideal Classic boiler for central heating and hot water - the gas still comes on even when it is set to "off" (ie it lights itself when it shouldn't do) - it has only recently started doing this. It also makes a whirring noise overnight when it is switched off, it sounds like the heating is still on even though it is not - it used to be very quiet when switched off. Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pictures?

If you can take some pictures of the boiler & controls often it is a big help. You can post the pics (free) @ www.photobucket.com & provide a link here.

Old 01-25-08, 09:05 AM
Many thanks - here is link with photos of boiler and controls...

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg82/amanda_minnie/

Old 01-25-08, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sorry

Sorry, that boiler is completely unfamiliar to me. Maybe one of the other guys will be able to help you out.

Old 01-25-08, 08:07 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I betcha it's 'over the pond' in the UK ?

Old 01-25-08, 08:40 PM
Who
Totally UK, time for the Corgi.

amanda_minnie, where's the pressure gauge? Is it close to 1 Bar when cold?

Old 01-26-08, 10:23 AM
The pressure gauge is at 1.25 most of the time....

Old 01-26-08, 12:20 PM
OK, When you say: " Comes on even when it is set to 'off' " are you referring to the little switch next to the round knob in the picture. Is that what you mean by 'set to off'?

I believe that is for the humidifier if I am not mistaken. There should be a 'turn off switch' clearly marked with a red plate somewhere.

Look around!

Keep us POSTED!

Charlie

Old 01-26-08, 01:25 PM
http://www.idealboilers.com/docs/pdf..._he_manual.pdf

Looked up your boiler and YOU are correct. The knob is the thermostat and the switch next to it SHOULD turn the unit on/off. I would start be replacing the switch with an equally rated one available at most electronic supply houses.

Charlie

Old 01-26-08, 06:42 PM
Look at page 28 section 42 or so. There are certain controls that OVERRIDE the on/off switch that is supplied ON the unit that you are speaking of. The frost protection thermostat is one of them.

This section clearly states that there should be an external ON/OFF switch if required by code or if the consumer wishes to shut the unit completely off.

I would certainly want one if it were MY unit!

ANY good installation would have had a MASTER on/off switch, which is required in most jurisdictions anyway.

LOOK around for it, it should be around the entrance to the room where the unit is.

MAYBE one of the sensors that OVERRIDE the unit's on/off switch has malfunctioned. IF you can trace circuits (use the electrical diagrams) and have a meter handy, check it out.

IF NOT-------call a service technician!

Good Luck!

Charlie

Old 01-28-08, 03:54 PM
Thanks Charlie for your help. The main on/off switch is fine (the one next to the round knob in the diagram) - I only ever switch that off when I'm going away for long periods. It's the electrical controls on the timer box on the wall that I think is the problem - you can set it to either on, off, "twice", or "once" - whenever it's set to "off" the heating is still staying on. Once it's been off for ages it doesn't tend to switch itself on, the problem I am noticing really is that when it is supposed to go off at 11pm with the timer, it still stays on for a good hour or two afterwards.

The frost protection thermostat shouldn't be coming on as it's not cold enough.

Sorry, I'm prob not explaining it very well!

Many thanks

Old 01-28-08, 04:51 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
amanda_minnie, can you verify for us that you are in the UK ? Most of us on this side of the pond are not at all familiar with your type of heating system...

Old 01-29-08, 08:32 AM
yes am in the UK!

Old 01-29-08, 10:08 AM
I searched pretty thoroughly in the manuals and could not find the timer you are speaking of.

Whilst the timer MAY be the problem, it is considered not part of your unit and is considered an external control. It may be an option available with the unit, but I could not find any information about it.

You would most likely have to look up the timer manufacturer and model number to get a wiring diagram to be able to find the problem, if it is the timer.

If you took the timer unit off line, (if possible) does the heating unit work properly? This would be one way to check to see if the problem is with the timer or the heating unit.

I am not familiar with your type of set-up incorporating a timer control. I can only try to 'point' you in the right direction.